Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? Post here and one of our members will answer as soon as possible.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 06:12 PM   #1
fmx_guy
AF Newbie

01 s-10 4.3 tranny problem

this morning i was going through an intersection and i felt my trans shift weird. since i was in town driving and soon at work i didnt think much of it. after work i soon realized that all i had was 2nd and 3rd. there is no slipping this happened today. reverse works also. while on my way home i shifted into 3rd from od back to od and nothing. also when i come to a stop and shift into 1st it wont take. only 2nd and 3rd. it is hot hot hot here so before i go and burn up in the heat i would like to know where to start. chevy 4.3 auto 4 speed. hopeing this may be a solenoid prob. thanks in advance!!! mike
fmx_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:25 AM   #2
trannyman52
AF Regular

Re: 01 s-10 4.3 tranny problem

sounds like in take-home mode,,,,could be a fuse,,,wiring issues,,,shorted shift solenoid,,they would be the two that look alike on the valve body,,,reasonable to buy ,,,easy to replace,,if you don't see issues with the connector to the trans,,,would suspect shift sols,,,would replace them both.....
trannyman52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:07 AM   #3
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmx_guy View Post
this morning i was going through an intersection and i felt my trans shift weird. since i was in town driving and soon at work i didnt think much of it. after work i soon realized that all i had was 2nd and 3rd. there is no slipping this happened today. reverse works also. while on my way home i shifted into 3rd from od back to od and nothing. also when i come to a stop and shift into 1st it wont take. only 2nd and 3rd. it is hot hot hot here so before i go and burn up in the heat i would like to know where to start. chevy 4.3 auto 4 speed. hopeing this may be a solenoid prob. thanks in advance!!! mike
To get started in the right direction.
It needs to be put on a engine/transmission capable scanner.
Get codes and transmission data readout.
Post back code no.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:20 AM   #4
trannyman52
AF Regular

I meant to state also that it should be scanned ,,,,but have seen cases where no codes will come up ,,,,also sol fault codes come up when there is a problem with hard parts,,,which is probably not the problem here.......
trannyman52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:56 PM   #5
fmx_guy
AF Newbie

Hey guys i havent forgotten to follow up i have just now gotten around to looking at the truck. (i have another ride) so i pull the pan and start checking soleniods and sure enough one of them was bad. so i put the pan back on and i will pick up a filter and some fluid and solenoid tomorrow or sometime soon. Mike
Old 09-30-2012, 07:11 PM   #6
fmx_guy
AF Newbie

Hey guys just a progress follow-up. so far so good with the new solenoid. also i tested the solenoids by ohm testing 20-30 ohms the margins may be narrower(forgot) mine showed infinite (open) no ohms. thats how in my case i resolved my problem. solenoid was 20 bucks filter was under 20 and nine qts. of trans fluid. so i guess lets say it costed me 80 bucks maybe a little less. thanks for the help. mike
Old 10-01-2012, 08:21 AM   #7
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmx_guy View Post
Hey guys just a progress follow-up. so far so good with the new solenoid. also i tested the solenoids by ohm testing 20-30 ohms the margins may be narrower(forgot) mine showed infinite (open) no ohms. thats how in my case i resolved my problem. solenoid was 20 bucks filter was under 20 and nine qts. of trans fluid. so i guess lets say it costed me 80 bucks maybe a little less. thanks for the help. mike
Thanks for posting back how it went.

Easy fix.

Good Luck

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis