Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 09:05 AM   #1
3d914
AF Newbie

98 winstar - Fuse #25 keeps blowing

My blinkers quit working on the 98 Windstar two weeks back. Checked the #7 & #27 fuses and both were OK. Bought a flasher unit and replaced old one - still no go. Did a search and learned about #25 fuse. Checked it - bad. Replaced it and everything worked fine for a couple of days. #25 fuse blows again.

So I took apart the dash and column to get to the switch and check the wiring. I cross-checked all the wires for flasher/blinkers for any shorting - all good. So I reconnect the multi-function switch - but only the blinker/flasher connector, leaving off the wiper connector. Couple days later, #25 blows again.

There has to be something ahead or parallel with the #25 fuse that's causing this. I don't think its the switch itself. Any ideas?

TIA
3d914@cox.net
"It is as if the world we perceive through our senses - that whole gorgeous and terrible pageant - were the breath-thin surface of a bubble, and everything else, inside and outside, is pure radiance. Both suffering and joy come then like a brief reflection, and death like a pin." - Stephen Mitchell
3d914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:17 PM   #2
wiswind
AF Moderator

Re: 98 winstar - Fuse #25 keeps blowing

Looking at the electrical diagrams for my '96 windstar (I only have access to the '96 year, which will be super close to your '98).

Fuse #25 goes into the flasher contact termial (that you already replaced).
Coming OUT of the flasher......you have a pulsing +12V that goes INTO the multifunction switch.
If you should need to replace the multifunction switch.....I have pictures that show that process.
I had to replace mine because my right turn signal was becoming intermittent.....no fuse blowing issue.

The output of the multifunction switch, relative to the pulsing +12 volts that is used for turn signal and hazzard functions.

The output will go to the trailer adaptor, all the bulbs that will flash for turn signal or hazzard, and the instrument cluster.

My FIRST item of suspect would be a bulb.
You might be lucky and be able to find it by turning on your hazzard lights and looking at the bulbs......looking for 1 that is not flashing when it should.....is brighter or dimmer than it should be when it flashes.....
Otherwise......I would replace all the bulbs that would be involved in flashing.

NOTE:.....my '96 does not have the Rear Electronics Module (REM) that seems to have been used in later years.
I do not know if that took place before '99 or not.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4157486...092975/detail/
2003 Toyota Sienna pictures (not much there yet)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4157486...781661/detail/
wiswind is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar