Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? Post here and one of our members will answer as soon as possible.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 08:06 PM   #1
Dangerboy9705
AF Newbie

Unhappy '97 Bravada that won't start, stuck in park, key stuck in ignition.

Hello,

I have a 97 Bravada. Recently the check engine light came on and then went off. I didn't think anything of it at the time till the other day I drove it to work and back fine without any issues, then the next morning I tried starting it and nothing happened. No cranking, no interior lights, no sounds.

I tried jumping it thinking the battery was dead but that didn't work. Now my key is stuck in the ignition in the accessory position. It will not turn all the way back to release the key.

I'm not financially set to throw more money into my suv, so is there anyone reading these forums that knows this problem and can direct me to the most probable cause to my problem so I can get this resolved?
Dangerboy9705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 08:53 PM   #2
Schrade
AF Enthusiast

Re: '97 Bravada that won't start, stuck in park, key stuck in ignition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerboy9705
Hello,

I have a 97 Bravada. Recently the check engine light came on and then went off.
Welcome to the boards there!

Means nothing. The code is still there.

That's the BEST place to start. Go to Advance / Zone, get the code, and post back.

ESPECIALLY if you don't want to do the ol' Fully Automatic Assault Wallet repair-less technique!!!
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 09:35 PM   #3
Leeann94astro
AF Regular

He said the key's stuck and it won't start - he can't GET it to Advanced/AutoZone.

The usual culprit for the '97 models is the ignition switch, but I have no idea if that's the problem here.
Leeann94astro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 09:47 PM   #4
Schrade
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeann94astro
He said the key's stuck and it won't start - he can't GET it to Advanced/AutoZone.
OHMIGOSH! He sure DID! How bout that. Good eye!

I guess my suggestion is still good tho', with conditions:

Try jumping it again, put the battery on a charger, or call a wrecker.

Then follow advice as posted in post #2.

Good job leann94astro!
Old 11-02-2008, 07:40 AM   #5
mike2004tct
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Hello,

I have a 97 Bravada. Recently the check engine light came on and then went off. I didn't think anything of it at the time till the other day I drove it to work and back fine without any issues, then the next morning I tried starting it and nothing happened. No cranking, no interior lights, no sounds.

I tried jumping it thinking the battery was dead but that didn't work. Now my key is stuck in the ignition in the accessory position. It will not turn all the way back to release the key.

I'm not financially set to throw more money into my suv, so is there anyone reading these forums that knows this problem and can direct me to the most probable cause to my problem so I can get this resolved?
On the underside of the steering wheel cover, directly below the key tumbler, is a hole about 3/8". remove the plug that covers this hole, take a pencil or long narrow screwdriver, and push it up that hole until you can feel the solenoid weight. This should allow you to remove the key.

I'd agree the probable cause is the Iignition switch harness. If that has been replaced in the past, the next logical problem would be the VCM (computer)
If you have a Volt meter, check for 12V at fuse # 12 (check both leads). If no voltage, more likely the Ign. switch is shot.

Again, under the steering wheel, check for a large gauge Pink wire coming from the key switch, down to a terminal block assmbly close to the pedals. Wiggle that wire and see if the lights come on.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:55 AM   #6
K5Calamity
AF Newbie

Man I've sure heard alot of problems regarding ignition switches on these year/make/model trucks. I was once stopped in a parking lot by a couple who needed advice on this exact problem. Their key was stuck in ACC and would not move and they were stranded. Not knowing anything about these switches I couldn't offer much help, but I always wondered if it was a mechanical failure inside the switch.
K5Calamity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:41 PM   #7
mike2004tct
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by K5Calamity
Man I've sure heard alot of problems regarding ignition switches on these year/make/model trucks. I was once stopped in a parking lot by a couple who needed advice on this exact problem. Their key was stuck in ACC and would not move and they were stranded. Not knowing anything about these switches I couldn't offer much help, but I always wondered if it was a mechanical failure inside the switch.
In the '97 specifically, there's a number of tumbler switches inside a box that operates off the ignition switch.

When 1 or more of these switches deteriorate, electrical contact isn't made. The reason the key won't come out is there's a solenoid attached to the side of the key switch that require's power to enable the key to turn to the off position. This solenoid stops the steering wheel from locking in specific instances, such as throttle stuck wide open while driving, etc.

The solenoid also receives a signal from another solenoid attached to the shifter mechanism. It's possible the floor shift solenoid is inoperable (If you have a floor shifter) You can easily see that solenoid by lifting the boot off the shifter (push inwards and pull up)
Old 11-02-2008, 03:38 PM   #8
K5Calamity
AF Newbie

So it sounds like a mechanical deterioration of tumblers which ultimately results in electrical failure of a solenoid, which results in the key being stuck and/or the vehicle having a no start condition. Or the failure of the solenoid on the floor shifter, if you have a floor shifter, can be the cause. Very interesting and good to know.
K5Calamity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:39 PM   #9
Dangerboy9705
AF Newbie

Smile Re: '97 Bravada that won't start, stuck in park, key stuck in ignition.

Okay, I appreciate all the posts to my problem.

I thank mike2004tct for your post. Your directions helped me to remove my key.

I had someone from work explain to me that perhaps it was my alternator. So I tried jump starting my car. It started after being charged for about 20 minutes via cables, but the engine didn't sound right. It seemed to only want to go into first gear and it's an automatic.

So my question is this, I've heard that transfer cases on these models go bad.. what exactly is a transfer case?

Now naturally, I refuse to drive my car in the event I stall out again, so I will be saving up to send it to a repair station. Thank you again for all your help.
Dangerboy9705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:36 PM   #10
mike2004tct
AF Enthusiast

Quote:

So my question is this, I've heard that transfer cases on these models go bad.. what exactly is a transfer case?

Now naturally, I refuse to drive my car in the event I stall out again, so I will be saving up to send it to a repair station. Thank you again for all your help.
The transfer case is a gear unit that provides the front wheel drive mechanism on 4 wheel drive vehicles.
I don't believe this to be your problem.

What's your volt meter reading when the truck is running. If under 12Volts, you have a bad charging system (loose cables or bad alternator)

If gauge is over 12V (13 to 14), alternator is good.
The SES light you mentioned in the first post makes me think it's something other than the alternator. Either the Ignition switch module, or the VCM.

Agian, as I mentioned above, if you have no dash lights, or engine won't turn over (no power whatsoever), go under the steering wheel, look for the large gauge Pink wire coming down from the key switch, and wiggle it. If the dash lights come on, it's the ignition switch module.

Good luck.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:59 AM   #11
Schrade
AF Enthusiast

Quote:

I had someone from work explain to me that perhaps it was my alternator. So I tried jump starting my car. It started after being charged for about 20 minutes via cables, but the engine didn't sound right. It seemed to only want to go into first gear and it's an automatic.

3rd gear, default mode. Tranny control is on circuit #1020, which is affected by this bad ignition switch. Lose the circuit, tranny goes to 3rd, with super high hydraulic fluid pressure, and perceived loss of power.

No, it is not the alternator.

If you take it to a shop (which you don't really need to do, IMO), tell them to do NOTHING more than replace the ignition switch.

I garauntee this is your ONLY problem. You can fix this yourself. There's a pic of the switch in this thread, near the middle of the thread:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=2069247
Post #64
Old 08-03-2012, 05:35 PM   #12
tifmom
AF Newbie

Omg! Mike2004tcct was right used a screw driver to push up on the little hole and bingo!
tifmom is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis