Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Trans Sport
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 10:33 AM   #1
jarl
AF Newbie

Air suspension guts alternatives?

My TS flat-lined battery is charging right now, but I would like to eliminate a probable cause of problems: the air suspension turning on at odd times.

I replaced the shocks less than 5k miles ago, so I'm not in a hurry to replace them again. It looks to me like something (solenoid?) is leaking, or the compressor is not working correctly. In any case, I'm considering replacing the compressor, solenoid and (?) with the corresponding parts from a newer car. Does anyone around here know which (newer) car has compatible components (fit-wise)?

Electronics are going to be quite different most probably, and I'm not too worried about that. But the compressor should fit in the current space
Old 06-21-2011, 12:33 AM   #2
jarl
AF Newbie

Re: Air suspension guts alternatives?

This much time and zero replies... hmmm

Anyway... in case someone else has the same problem after replacing the original shock absorbers with the Monroe units: the orientation of the connector for the 1/8" hose is not the best one. While on the original units the hose is connected to rubber elbows, on the Monroes the hose exits perpendicular to the shock, and points either toward the inside of the tires, or the tightest point against the body of the car, toward the inside of the car.

In my case, I had oriented both shocks with the connectors toward the tires. While the passenger side was fine, and around 1/2" away from the tire, the hose for the driver side shock had moved and rubbed against the tire, wearing the hose to the point it started to leak. I cut the damage part of the hose and turned the connector toward the inside of the car, and so far it seems to be behaving correctly.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:16 PM   #3
LMP
AF Enthusiast

wHEN i INSTALLED THE MONROES, THE COMPRESSOR AND THE ELECTRONIC LEVEL UNIT WERE shot...so they were decomissionned and I use a $5 tire compressor that I fire up when needed....that is, I check regulrly for at least some pressure in the shocks from the pressure gauge on the compressor unit..and I add more pressure when needed....
Old 06-25-2011, 12:36 PM   #4
Jrs3800
AF Enthusiast

In reality the pumps were the same for the van and the cars... I used a Pump from a Bonneville... I had to install the pump into the vans bracket tho to get it to fit under the van...lol
Jrs3800 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jrs3800 For This Useful Post:
jarl (06-27-2011)