Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 02:52 AM   #1
RedAzureSkye
AF Newbie

1996 Chevy Lumina ignition problem!

Hi guys! I honestly don't know much about cars, and I have a problem starting my car! So please, be as simple as possible!!! So here is my problem:

I started my car in the morning. My engine turned over after the second try just fine, though I had to hit the gas to make it go. I was a little low on gas, so I went to the station and filled up. When I tried to start up though, it turned over but refused to start! It was at the pump, one of the most unfortunate of locations, so I pushed it over to a parking space and left it while I went to work. When I came back and tried to start my car, the engine didn't even turn over. I tried jump starting it, but my car still didn't turn over. I know my battery at least has SOME charge, because it runs the lights, radio, windshield wipers, etc, but no engine turning over.
Asking around, they told me it could be the starter... or the battery... or the wiring... but unfortunately I have no clue! Also, I was reading some other online forums, and they mentioned that if my "Check Engine Light" wasn't turning on, it could be that.

Anyway, thank you for your time, and if you need me to clarify or answer more questions, feel free to ask me!!
RedAzureSkye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:54 AM   #2
dafeeder
AF Newbie

Re: 1996 Chevy Lumina ignition problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedAzureSkye View Post
Hi guys! I honestly don't know much about cars, and I have a problem starting my car! So please, be as simple as possible!!! So here is my problem:

I started my car in the morning. My engine turned over after the second try just fine, though I had to hit the gas to make it go. I was a little low on gas, so I went to the station and filled up. When I tried to start up though, it turned over but refused to start! It was at the pump, one of the most unfortunate of locations, so I pushed it over to a parking space and left it while I went to work. When I came back and tried to start my car, the engine didn't even turn over. I tried jump starting it, but my car still didn't turn over. I know my battery at least has SOME charge, because it runs the lights, radio, windshield wipers, etc, but no engine turning over.
Asking around, they told me it could be the starter... or the battery... or the wiring... but unfortunately I have no clue! Also, I was reading some other online forums, and they mentioned that if my "Check Engine Light" wasn't turning on, it could be that.

Anyway, thank you for your time, and if you need me to clarify or answer more questions, feel free to ask me!!
I would start with the battery.
dafeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:48 AM   #3
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Re: 1996 Chevy Lumina ignition problem!

When the ignition switch is turned to the START position do the warning indicator lamps illuminate? Does the temperature gauge swing toward full scale?

With the ignition on, take note of the CHECK ENGINE lamp. Turn off the ignition switch for about five seconds, then turn the switch to the RUN position (not START) while watching the CHECK ENGINE lamp. Does the lamp turn on briefly (about half a second) then turn off briefly, then turn back on and remain on?

Repeat the procedure above and listen for the fuel pump running. When the ignition has been off for 20 seconds and is then turned on, the fuel pump should run for about two seconds to prime the fuel rails.

Those can reveal important information about the electrical and control systems.

Another item to check