Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 10:58 PM   #1
pixiepal
AF Newbie

Question 2011 honda cr-v OR honda accord OR toyota rav4

First of all, sorry about the long post. I'm badly in need of suggestions.

My hubby and I are considering these 3 options: Honda CR-V, Honda Accord and Toyota RAV4.
I've read innumerable reviews and watched a few youtube videos of all the above cars we are considering, and still confused.

I didn't really like the interiors of RAV4, but overall is ok I guess.
We are a young couple, and some people suggested that we go for a car instead of an SUV... so we are also considering Accord.

I've an inclination towards 2011 Honda CR-V EX L (2 WDR). Some of the things that I like in CR-V are: it has enough storage space, great interiors and exterior, good resale value and trustworthy brand.
I need opinions about these things:
- How good is the performance of crv at high speeds (like 85-90 mph or more)?
- I read a couple of reviews which say that the wheel balancing is not perfect, the vehicle tends to move in a different direction. Is this correct?
- I need to drive for work 20 miles each way.Would cr-v be a good choice?
- Is this a good vehicle for long drives and road trips (I'm not talking about driving on mountains or gravel)
- The engine of crv is not as powerful as RAV4. How much is the difference?
- Overall, when compared to CRV, how good or bad is Toyota RAV4?

Inside the city/suburbs, the difference between CRV, RAV4, Accord - it hardly matters. But which car would be the best for long drives and driving on highways?

Thanks for any advise (and patiently reading my post).
pixiepal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:21 PM   #2
Greenblurr93
Kind of a Big Deal

Send a message via MSN to Greenblurr93
Re: 2011 honda cr-v OR honda accord OR toyota rav4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiepal View Post
- How good is the performance of crv at high speeds (like 85-90 mph or more)?
- I read a couple of reviews which say that the wheel balancing is not perfect, the vehicle tends to move in a different direction. Is this correct?
- I need to drive for work 20 miles each way.Would cr-v be a good choice?
- Is this a good vehicle for long drives and road trips (I'm not talking about driving on mountains or gravel)
- The engine of crv is not as powerful as RAV4. How much is the difference?
-Any SUV really shouldnt be driven at such high speeds..
-wheel balance can easily be corrected at any tire shop, or a place that does tire service
-20 miles each way isnt exactly close... i would relay on MPG for that
-should be fine for longer trips
-it all boils down to preference.. i would drive them all on the same day and make a decision about which one fits your lifestyle best
Greenblurr93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:50 PM   #3
Oldengineer
AF Regular

Re: 2011 honda cr-v OR honda accord OR toyota rav4

I own a 2010 CRV LX 2WD. I've put 40K miles on it so far, and, I'm somewhat dissapointed by it.
1. The fuel economy is less than expected - running at interstate speeds (70 MPH) drops it's fuel economy into the low 20 MPG range.
2. The engine makes all its power at high rpm. Mine has to turn 4500 rpm to climb significant grades on the interstate.
3. Performace, even with 180 HP on tap, is mediocre to me. The engine simply doesn't make much torque at low rpm. I sometimes have to come out of interstate ramps with her at 7000 rpm to merge safely in traffic.
4. Road noise in the CRV is excessive - it may bother you.
5. Mine's OK on long trips, but, not the most enjoyable ride.
6. Reliability is OK I guess - mine recently required $500 for an alignment and new rear tires, because the rear suspension went out of alignment and it quiclky ate its rear tires.

IMO - I'd look at the RAV with the optional V6 engine - I think you'd like it better. To put this in perspective - my other vehicle is also a little SUV. Its a Mercedes Benz GLK350 4Matic. It weighs in at about 4000 pounds, has all wheel drive, and its V6 makes 80 - 90 more HP than the CRV does. It's about 2.5 seconds faster to 60 than the CRV, and, has no problem cruising at high speeds. It's getting 25+ mpg running interstate speeds, and, handles like a sports sedan. The CRV now sits on the driveway when wife and I take a long trip.

Just my 2 cents worth
Oldengineer
Oldengineer is offline   Reply With Quote