Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Ranger | Courier
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 03:22 PM   #1
ecamc
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to ecamc
Question 1998 Ranger 3.0L V6 - Timing belt or chain?

My son has a 98 Ranger 3.0L V6, and I assume this has a timing chain that does NOT need to be replaced. Can someone verify that for me? I'm basing this assumption on previously owning a 3.0L V6 Vulcan engine in a Sable.

Thanks,
Ed
ecamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:39 PM   #2
zia-czon
AF Newbie

Re: 1998 Ranger 3.0L V6 - Timing belt or chain?

Yes Sir, it is a timing chain yet it should be replaced(anywhere from 70-120k), though you may or may not notice any running issues, the chain does develop slack over time in turn changing the timing=poor burning conditions=poor fuel mileage/performance=poss. damage to critical engine components, or engine management system. But if you do replace the chain on a high mileage engine you WILL notice a difference. Here's the bigger problem, depending on if 2 or 4 wheel drive, you may or may not need to lift or remove the engine to get the oil pan off to get the timing cover out. Now these timing covers are notorious for leaking so you may be solving 2 problems at once. just some food for thought.
zia-czon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:50 PM   #3
zia-czon
AF Newbie

Re: 1998 Ranger 3.0L V6 - Timing belt or chain?

sorry i meant to specify that the Timing Cover leaks coolant and if left unattended the aluminum cover becomes subject to electrolysis which eats up the sealing surface and will need to also be replaced. to prevent these coolant leaks its as simple as changing your coolant at recommended intervals using DISTILLED water and properly flushing the Engine block as well as the radiator. and if the radiator has signs of excessive build up inside replace it(some times you cant flush it out) to prevent any expensive cooling system headaches in the future. trust me i have had all of the above problems including a heater core due to lack of cooling system maintenance.
zia-czon is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
belt , chain , timing
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Ranger | Courier