Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 05:12 PM   #1
2005chevimpala
AF Regular

ISS sterring shaft

To max wedge or who ever,put my 2005 impala in the dealer today to get the solienod in the tranny replaced again,it was done 2 years ago ,thats all good,asked them to replace the iss shaft with new one i bought off of ebay but the shaft belonged to a buick regal and would'nt fit so they just put my old one back on ,they never greased it before putting back on,now that it was disturbed I have play in my steering wheel like some of the old ford trucks,like a sterring lash,when turning the steering when parked left to right the shaft is noisey and loose when driving now i really have to be carefull as the car seems like no steering and wanders,does this mean i have to replace it with brand new one?,there was no play or out of alignment before they removed the shaft just a slight clunking when turning left or right,is it possible the shaft got disturbed or put back in a different spot causing my steering play,seems like bad balljoints or tie-rod ends is the feeling i get through the steering now,thanks
2005chevimpala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 02:36 AM   #2
RacerE7773
AF Newbie

Re: ISS sterring shaft

I found on an Impala site to spray White Lithium grease down the boot of the ISS and turn the wheel lock to lock several times and that will spread the grease around in there and take away the noise and gosh darned stiff feel. Sounds nuts, but I did it on my 2003 base imp and it worked.
RacerE7773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 04:50 AM   #3
2005chevimpala
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerE7773 View Post
I found on an Impala site to spray White Lithium grease down the boot of the ISS and turn the wheel lock to lock several times and that will spread the grease around in there and take away the noise and gosh darned stiff feel. Sounds nuts, but I did it on my 2003 base imp and it worked.
thanks,i did that as soon as i got my car back,over half a can of white lithium was spray down the boot and into the end of the shaft but the steering lash and play is still there so i guess it won't work with mine,may have replace the whole shaft,does anyone know if there is another steering shaft in the upper part of the column behind the steering wheel
Old 12-24-2009, 02:03 PM   #4
2005chevimpala
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005chevimpala View Post
thanks,i did that as soon as i got my car back,over half a can of white lithium was spray down the boot and into the end of the shaft but the steering lash and play is still there so i guess it won't work with mine,may have replace the whole shaft,does anyone know if there is another steering shaft in the upper part of the column behind the steering wheel
I found the problem with my steering,the dealer never even had the bolt tight on the top part of the shaft under the column inside the car,i put almost 2 full turns on the bolt and now my steering is perfectly tight and no more free play like a bad tie rod and no more knocking since i sprayed the lube inside it,thanks guys for all your imput, mike,corner brook newfoundland
Old 12-26-2009, 07:54 AM   #5
auto trainy
AF Enthusiast

I would think twice about using that dealer again and I would also inform them of you findings and see what they say.
auto trainy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 01:26 PM   #6
2005chevimpala
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto trainy View Post
I would think twice about using that dealer again and I would also inform them of you findings and see what they say.
I already flipped at them already,sent emails to service manager and owner even though i know them and used to work for the gm dealer,i also emailed gm canada with all the info also,my extended gmpp warranty will be sub contracted out at napa repairs with my neighbour who owns and operates it
Old 02-18-2010, 12:54 PM   #7
ff_sssmokin
AF Newbie

Sprayed a whole can of lithium grease (CRC brand from Advance Auto) down the boot of steering shaft. Clunking noise went away instantly.
ff_sssmokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:48 PM   #8
chevymandan
AF Newbie

Faulty Pressure Control Solenoid, GM knows about it, there are TSB about it. Harsh shifts when hot. The best and cheapest thing to do is call GM and complain. Their number is 1-800-222-1020. These transmissions are known to be defective but have yet to be recalled. I called today 6-21-2010. Ask for it to be recalled. If they get enough calls they will. Maybe
chevymandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:37 PM   #9
chevymandan
AF Newbie

GM was useless to talk to in this matter for me because I bought the car "used and abused" I installed accumulator springs from the transgo sk4t65e kit and it fixed the problem. easy to do, drop tranny pan, unbolt accumulator housing, pull pistons out, install springs and metal spacers, bolt back up, change tranny filter, bolt pan up, install fluid and drive like new. try this before anything else, total cost of job was about 140
chevymandan is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS