Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Tahoe
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 04:55 PM   #1
ehaynes11
AF Newbie

Angry 2 problems w/ '00 tahoe

Hey what's up guys? I'm Eric, new to this site from Kansas City. I really need some help on a couple of things. I hope you guys don't mind.

1. My message center by the speedometer is constantly on. It reads low fuel causing my guage to not register the amount correctly, and also says to service 4x4 (which works just fine). Now, the fuel guage I've read could be a ground problem or something, but why would the 4x4 message come on as well?

2. I think I clogged the windshield wiper fluid resevoir with a piece of paper from the cap of the wiper fluid bottle (i'm an idiot, it fell in there when i unscrewed it) and I can't spray from my wipers. How do I flush that out just in case thats it? Or, what else could be wrong?

Thanks again in advance! I've heard nothing but good things about this site, and I'm happy to be a part of it. Eric
ehaynes11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:31 PM   #2
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Re: 2 problems w/ '00 tahoe

Welcome to AF
You need to get it on a good engine/transmission/transfer case capable scanner and get transfer case code and any other codes.
Post back code no.
How many miles on transfer case fluid?
Ever been serviced?
If the auto 4W case it takes special gm fluid and should be serviced ever so many miles.

On the gas gauge a good engine capable scanner should have some fuel gauge test that will show the problem.

On the Wind shield washers will washer pump run when you hit the washer switch?
Old 12-16-2009, 05:48 PM   #3
ehaynes11
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT-2500 View Post
Welcome to AF
You need to get it on a good engine/transmission/transfer case capable scanner and get transfer case code and any other codes.
Post back code no.
How many miles on transfer case fluid?
Ever been serviced?
If the auto 4W case it takes special gm fluid and should be serviced ever so many miles.

On the gas gauge a good engine capable scanner should have some fuel gauge test that will show the problem.

On the Wind shield washers will washer pump run when you hit the washer switch?
I will get numbers and stuff asap, but the only question I can answer is that wipers move, but I cannot tell if the pump is running when I do it.
ehaynes11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:06 PM   #4
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Feel and listen for pump to run.
or check for it getting 12 volts to it when you hit washer switch.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:28 PM   #5
j cAT
AF Fanatic

with the w/shield washer . remove the bottle/washer pump ..flush out then engage the washer switch to see if pump works...remove pump clean screen....lets say no pump action then this could be the w/shield motor timer /motor assy..

fuel reading in correctly is usually the in tank sender unit...common problem...this is part of the fuel pump ...

the 4x4 switch on the dash is known to be defective ...improper soldering joints on the switch..I re soldered mine years ago still good..light comes on after driving a short distance in 2wd high..

your 4x4 drive is working so the switch is highly suspect...

when driving the computer tests the 4x4 circuits,,if the switch is not soldered good it sends back data that throws a code...usually its the 8 volt power supply is not correct because of this defect...

it would take less time to re solder the switch than hook up a gm specific scanner....not all scanners can read these drivetrain codes..
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:01 PM   #6
sleeper80
AF Newbie

Smile Re: 2 problems w/ '00 tahoe

Not sure if this means anything, but i have a 2000 4x4 tahoe that had problems with the fuel gauge going from full to empty (or not working) and the gas petal sticking when idealing, also after a few months it started running hot from low coolant. My Tahoe has 205,000 miles, so I was worried about the overheating problem first, so I had the water pump and thermostat replaced. And to my surprise the fuel gauge started working and to gas petal is not sticking. At the repair shop they said the thermostat was causing all the problems by sending bad signals to the computer. Do not know if this true but everything works great now.
sleeper80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:54 AM   #7
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeper80 View Post
Not sure if this means anything, but i have a 2000 4x4 tahoe that had problems with the fuel gauge going from full to empty (or not working) and the gas petal sticking when idealing, also after a few months it started running hot from low coolant. My Tahoe has 205,000 miles, so I was worried about the overheating problem first, so I had the water pump and thermostat replaced. And to my surprise the fuel gauge started working and to gas petal is not sticking. At the repair shop they said the thermostat was causing all the problems by sending bad signals to the computer. Do not know if this true but everything works great now.
the throttle body usually needs cleaning every 20-30,ooomi..this should stop the gas pedal from sticking at idle..

the fuel pump sending unit is the problem , with the fuel guage ..this is a widespread problem over many years...

the thermostat has no wires or any electrical connections to anything ..I am surprised they said this because it is pure B/S ...

with your overheating these engine do have coolant issues....make sure you have the correct coolant of the proper ratio ..this means your system requires 2.5 gallons of coolant the rest about 1.75 gallons DISTILLED WATER...
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Tahoe