Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > 4Runner/GX470
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-25-2004, 08:57 PM   #1
Srobocop
AF Newbie

92 4runner - Transmission/Speedometer problem?

alright, my speedometer will work sometimes and othertimes it wont.

When it gets really bad and doesnt work for a while (a couple drives, or days) and just stays at zero, sometimes when its in this degree of not working(the speedometer) the transmission while i'm driving will just act like its in neutral and rev the engine, i pull over, put it in park, and back and drive and the transimission will work but not always the speedometer.

the transmission will ONLY DO THIS WHEN SPEEDOMETER IS NOT WORKING.

is there something that is electrical that affects both the transmission and the speedometer? thanks for any advice/info in advance.

P.S. if you want me to specify anything let me know, i know i sometimes will say stuff and it wont make sense.
Srobocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 11:23 AM   #2
lfacundo
AF Newbie

Re: 92 4runner - Transmission/Speedometer problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srobocop
alright, my speedometer will work sometimes and othertimes it wont.

When it gets really bad and doesnt work for a while (a couple drives, or days) and just stays at zero, sometimes when its in this degree of not working(the speedometer) the transmission while i'm driving will just act like its in neutral and rev the engine, i pull over, put it in park, and back and drive and the transimission will work but not always the speedometer.

the transmission will ONLY DO THIS WHEN SPEEDOMETER IS NOT WORKING.

is there something that is electrical that affects both the transmission and the speedometer? thanks for any advice/info in advance.

P.S. if you want me to specify anything let me know, i know i sometimes will say stuff and it wont make sense.
I'm currently experiencing the same symtoms on my 93 4runner. According to what I have read in Yotatech forum, it can be the shift solenoid in the tranny that is being controlled by the shift sensor which is being controlled by the speedometer. I haven't had a chance to crawl underneath the truck to do a visual inspection of the spedo cable yet so, I can't say for sure why I am having these symtoms.
My speedometer has been acting up intermittently for quite some time and I never had any problems with the tranny being stuck in first gear before until just recently so, who's to say that it is the shift sensor or the shift solenoid. The initial stage of troubleshooting a problem can certainly be time consuming and difficult.
If I find out anything else, I'll surely post a reply.
Good luck
lfacundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 06:35 PM   #3
forest_grump
AF Enthusiast

Check wires to speed sensor on tranny for corrosion and look at connection on speed sensor as well...might also have it tested or find out specs and do it yourself if no corrosion is found...also the speedo in dash is known to crap out on the 4runners as my 92 V6 4x4 did at near 100,000 miles...goodluck
forest_grump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 12:00 PM   #4
4Wheel
AF - Advisor

No cable on 92

There is no speedo cable on a 92, it is a sensor and checking for a bad connection is good advice but do it at the ECU. Needs to be a complete circuit to the pin in the ECU connector, (need to make some long leads for your multimeter).
If the problem is just in the instrument panel then it would not affect the shifting of the tranny, BTW the A340H is COMPLETELY ECU electronic controlled shifting including the transfer case, everything from thermal to throttle position determines when this tranny shifts.

Last edited by 4Wheel; 12-28-2004 at 12:38 PM.
4Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 12:42 PM   #5
morowe
AF Newbie

SPEED SENSOR! This exact thing happened to my 1992 around 199k miles. I had the transmission rebuilt, which it needed, but the problem came back. Just driving down the road it would red line and wouldn't go anywhere. Had to shutdown and startup a few times to get it to start going again. While this happened my 'check engine' light would also come on. I took it in and had merchants read the codes, and it said speed sensor. The part is a plastic like gear. It controls the speed-o-meter along with the odometer (when ever the speedometer doesn't work the mileage doesn't go up, that was my first sign of a problem). It was a bit pricey, like $240 for the part maybe but it just pops in and you are on your way. It is the best $240 I have spent and put my 4runner back on the road. Currently has 223k on it and running strong. Now I get to update the suspension.

Best of luck but I would defiantly check the speed sensor.

MOR
morowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 01:08 PM   #6
Srobocop
AF Newbie

thanks a ton dude, i wondering if that was it and i'm glad to hear it worked, looks like i'll be saving a lil bit of money now, thanks again.
Old 12-28-2004, 01:39 PM   #7
morowe
AF Newbie

Yeah, I wish I would have known before I had my transmission rebuilt. It would have saved me money up front. He said the part is expensive because it is a Toyota, this part for other cars is like $20. There are also 2 speed sensors, 1 up under the hood and the other back under the truck. The 1 that was replaced for me was under the truck, I think he called up and 'up stream' sensor, don't recall. I have all the paper work and when I get back home I'll post it.

If it doesn't fix it I am sorry, but it sounds like the same thing I had.

MOR
morowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 11:14 PM   #8
Srobocop
AF Newbie

no dude, its cool, it sounds exactly like what you had happening, it sounds exactly like it.
Old 12-29-2004, 02:22 AM   #9
forest_grump
AF Enthusiast

Re: No cable on 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Wheel
There is no speedo cable on a 92, it is a sensor and checking for a bad connection is good advice but do it at the ECU. Needs to be a complete circuit to the pin in the ECU connector, (need to make some long leads for your multimeter).
If the problem is just in the instrument panel then it would not affect the shifting of the tranny, BTW the A340H is COMPLETELY ECU electronic controlled shifting including the transfer case, everything from thermal to throttle position determines when this tranny shifts.

Will do no good to test at ECU if you want to do a VISUAL check for corrosion at connection to speed sensor under vehicle as corrosion is a common problem on 4x4's and 2WD's in wiring connections at that age.And speed sensor should have test values you can check while you have it unplugged in most cases as well.
forest_grump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 12:48 PM   #10
4Wheel
AF - Advisor

I just rebuilt the V6 got it running last Thursday, I checked all the "engine wire" continuity back to the ECU of course look for compromised connections, but I also found 2 opens in the harness, tach (not a "control" line) & water temp line. If there is an open circuit it doesn't matter how good the connection is. the values are continuity or no continuity simple and for the lower speed sensor functionality test the "values" just happen to be just that, open and closed as the output shaft is rotated.
Good input though, I shook, rattled and rolled every wire and inspected each connector.
4Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:23 AM   #11
pomboy55
AF Newbie

Smile Re: 92 4runner - Transmission/Speedometer problem?

Been having same problem with my 92 4runner even went to toyota service who did not believe the speed sensor would effect the transmission, problem for me is not one to had in australia at moment have to order from japan and wait could be at least 3 weeks if they can get me one have sourced a second hand one but that's always a risk .
Trouble is will have to take chance and also order a new one so at least car will be on road again .

Good to be able to confirm others have had same issue .
pomboy55 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > 4Runner/GX470