Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > 4Runner/GX470
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 04:35 PM   #1
Cbpcop
AF Newbie

Question tie rod diagnosis

Here's a good one folks, and I really need your help PDQ! Front end is shaking like H@#%! Local shop says its the right rear tie rod (vehicle is a 98 base model with 2wd, automatic, 2.7 ltr 4 cyl. with 114,000 mi). Left front tire is doing most of the shaking and showing dramatic treadwear. Right front tire is about like the other three, within normal wear pattern.
Jacked up each front wheel at the jack point on the bottom of the lower A-frame - left side, no play. right side, about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch of slop/play at the tie rod where it enters the steering rack (boots are intact and in good shape, no significant impacts either side to the suspension).
Does the tie rod need to be replaced or is there some kind of adjustment in the steering rack that can be made to take up that slack on the right side between the ram inside and the inside end of the tie rod???? (am I right in my assessment of the anatomy on this one?)
As I said before, I need info on this on ASAP!!!!! Thanks to all in advance.
Cbpcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:08 AM   #2
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.
Re: tie rod diagnosis

I am far from an expert on the steering gear, but from the diagrams, it seems that the likely point of having play is at the rack end where it attaches to either the rack or the tie rod. Perhaps the connections there have loosened up or become damaged and needs to be tightened or replaced.

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate"
Brian R. is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > 4Runner/GX470