Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 03:19 PM   #1
daytonmjm4
AF Newbie

91 lumina stalling issue . unplugged tcc nothign changed

i'm new to this site. and have not had the time to look at old topics or post. but any way ! i havea 1991 lumina i just bought . 91,000 on odomater. but new motor at 28,000.so like 63,000 on motor. one owner non smoker. all service reciects.and repair reciets. lady said they couldn't figure out the ocassionly stalling at red lights. well i read about how this is a common issue with my torque clutch convertor soleniod. well i unplugged it as recomended. and it seems the same . runs great until warm. then at red lights or stop signs it kinds revs up and down . hasn't stalled since unplugging . but its only been a few hours. and i was told stalling was every once in a while anyway. i dont know how to work on cars. but also laid off. so i'm trying to teach myself how to do this stuff. it runs so good. i cant see this being a 500 dollar issue. but i dont know . any help would be appreciated. i also want to fix this before it becomes a biger issue.
daytonmjm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:30 PM   #2
daytonmjm4
AF Newbie

Re: 91 lumina stalling issue . unplugged tcc nothign changed

well i just drove it some more . and i noticed it doens't matter if in drive or park. once stoped it statrs idleing shitf. its like it revs then stops. like eeeeeer,eeeeer,eeeeeeer,. and as long as it takes to say what i wrote . thats exactly what it does. like my motor tring to pull the car when it revs . but my brakes are on. it smoths every few moments . then back to eeeeeer,eeeeeeer,eeeeeer. i must sond like an idiot. and you all prolly think i'm nuts.lol
Old 08-26-2009, 06:56 PM   #3
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

Sounds like it's trying to overcome a big lean condition. Check EGR and IAC operation and passages. Look for major vacuum leaks. Full rich of cold start can mask lean condition, but gets worse as it comes up to operating temp.

EGR is disabled until the motor warms up. o2 sensor input is ignored until operating temp is reached too. Might check to see if the sensor tip's shell is hogged up or burned away.

IAC will usually cause prblems cold too, but not always.

TCC stall is usually followed by the motor slamming to stop when you try to place it in gear and continue driving after restart...until the solenoid pressure bleeds off and the TC unlocks...

...empty gun rack.
jeffcoslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:25 PM   #4
daytonmjm4
AF Newbie

well just incase someone reads any of these post. i noticed today. car revvs up at idle even if not warmed up. also it seems to stop the minute i turn my a/c on. the ac works great and was just fixed . by previous owner. although today while running it . since my car seems to run better while useing it . it mad a clunking nois. like a house fan would had to stuck somthing in it while running. should i just sell it
Old 08-27-2009, 03:36 PM   #5
randy78
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to randy78 Send a message via Skype™ to randy78

remove and clean the IAC

common issue

carboned up badly

clean out the hole in the TB unit also where it goes into
-'54 F100 302 C-6 -'57 F100 -'57 Bel Air HT 307 4spd '57 210 HT 4dr 265 3spd -'68 corvair monza convertible w/ PG -'79 C-20 -'80 K-20 -'82 K-10 SS -'82 TRANS AM WS7 HT 5.0L TH350 2400 stall blue/blue level III PMD cloth PG hood -'85 Elky SS 310ci 2004r fully restored 2008 -'88 buick century estate wagon 3800 4t40e, 91 s-10 2wd 4.3L, 96 taurus, '97 cavalier RS 2.2L, 5sd -'05 18ft car trailer, 98 achieva, 98 cherokee,
randy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:45 PM   #6
daytonmjm4
AF Newbie

thanks you guys for responding . once i find out what an iac is and were it is . i look into how to remove and clean it . i wish i had a repair manual . what do those usually cost ???

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina