Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Sable
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 02:47 PM   #1
weaselp1
AF Newbie

Smile 1998 Sable -no power windows and interior lights (please help)

To make a long story short, my stupid friend stuck a metal knife in the over head dome light without a light in; and it seemed to short the circuit out.

I have no power windows and no overhead lights (left, center, and right all do not work)

I also don’t have any lights on the power window buttons or the unlock/ lock buttons. I do have light in my dash/radio.

Is this a relay problem? And if it is, what relay would it be. It is very annoying not having windows, and luckily when he shorted everything out, the windows were in the up position. If this is as simple as buying a 30 dollar relay that would be great. But the sable has 190k mi and I am going to upgrade to something else in the spring; but in the meantime, i would like windows that actually work

Thanks for all of your help
weaselp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 06:23 PM   #2
6mcmlxv5
AF Newbie

Re: 1998 Sable -no power windows and interior lights (please help)

I know this may seem silly and you may have looked already but: First I would check the primary fuse block as most of the items you have listed are usually protected by fuses as opposed to relays. You might also look in the engine compartment. There is a secondary panel in my 2000 Mercury Sable.
6mcmlxv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 10:49 AM   #3
enigma-2
AF Newbie

I imagine you have found the problem by now, but if you haven't, your friend simply blew a fuse. It's fuse number 33, a 5 amp tan colored fuse right next to relay number 36 (one of the larger relays) in the fuse panel located left of the steering wheel near the parking brake.

You can use the fuse puller located on the back of the fuse panel cover.

If you any reason that doesn't fix it, also check the power distribution box located in the engine compartment near the battery. Check fuse number 4, a 30 amp CB. (If your power seats are not working that would be a good clue that this is the fault- but power seats also use number 6 on certain builds so it's not definitive.)
enigma-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:19 PM   #4
pcharles
AF Newbie

Weaselp1-

Had the same problem when I was aftermarketing my '98 Mercury 4 door Sable to replace the Dome light with a High Brightness LED (better light, less battery drain). Momentary short killed Dome light, map lights, and power windows. Fix was to replace fuse number 27 (10 Amp Battery Saver Relay fuse) See: http://www.taurusclub.com/wiki/index...Interior_Fuses (not the same year or make, but same wiring harness/interior fuse box).

peter
pcharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 02:26 PM   #5
Debrincon
AF Newbie

I have problem with 87 Mercury Sable turn signals. I thought I checked all the fuses? I think I did! All the hazard lights and head, brake lights all work. Also gas meter doesn't work?(gas gage) I also didn't pass DEQ, they said I almost passed, but NO Cigar? I was told there's a gas cleaner?or carb cleaner you could pour into the tank and pass the deq. I am very low-income mother. I live on $448.00 a month. I need some help. I need to renew tags ASAP. I want to know if anyone can help me out! I sure would appreciate your help. From a newbie Debrinconcita.
Debrincon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 06:59 PM   #6
65comet
AF Enthusiast

When you flip the switch, do any of the outside lights come on but don't flash? It could just be a bulb on each side is burned out. Could be the flasher module has gone bad.
The turn signals could also be the multi-function switch. That is what the arm that you flip up and down to use the turn signals is called. The contacts inside the switch over time can burn out, pit or create enough heat to eventually melt the surrounding plastic and not allow electricity to flow.
For your additive, go to your local auto parts store and ask what products they have and recommend for your area. The tests are different across the country so you should get what helps where you live.
65comet is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Sable