Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Fiero
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 01:41 AM   #1
carl80
AF Newbie

1988 fiero, has sat for most of its live, what should i do?

i have a 88 fiero that has 5200 miles. last time it was started we had to replace the fuel pump. but then it started leaking anifreeze from heater box on the inside. is there somthing rubber in there or do u think i need a new heater core. after sitting for that long what else should i replace before its driven.
carl80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 12:27 AM   #2
Ragtop_Renegade
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1988 fiero, has sat for most of its live, what should i do?

The heater core has probably corroded and is now leaking. No matter what the issue, you'll need to dismantle the dash and get the heater core out to find the problem, so you might as well get started.

Start up procedure for vehicles that have sat for years:

Drain the fuel tank, and add 2-3 gallons of fresh, clean fuel. I like to use premium grade stuff, but 87 octane is fine.

Change the fuel filter

Check the fuel supply and return lines for cracked hose or rusted lines. This is critical on the MFI V6 cars where line pressures are high enough to rupture even lightly damaged lines in a hurry.

Replace any belts or hoses that are cracked or worn.

If spark plug wires appear weathered and cracked, change them. There are many opinions out there, but my belief is that the same AC/Delco brand wires the factory used are the best replacements.

Check the oil level, and if the oil is black, change it before starting the engine. For clean oil, run the engine and get it up to temperature, then shut it off and change the oil. In either case, replace the filter.

Check the cooling system for leaks and other issues. If you find a problem, shut the engine down and leave it off until you can fix the leaks. When a car sits for a while, little problems that show up usually turn drastic if not addressed right away.

Once you have the engine up to temp, check the transmission fluid level (if an automatic) and top off as necessary. A fluid and filter change is NOT advised. Normally you should not mess with a transmission unless something is wrong with it. Old automatic transmissions that appear fine can go to hell in a hurry if tampered with, so if you don't have missing gears or shift issues, don't mess with it.

Be aware that some automatics that sit for a while can deteriorate and clutch pack linings can disintegrate causing almost immediate failure when revived. This is probably most common on 80's full size front drives, like El Dorado and Toronado, but it can happen to any car that sits many years.

Watch for leaks when you start the engine, oil seals can shrink over time, and cooling system parts can go bad. Get the cooling system flushed as soon as you can following a start up.

The absolute most important thing is the first on this list. NEVER EVER EVER run an engine with unstabilized, aged fuel. You'll make a sticky varnished mess of the whole fuel injection system. Once you're running without issues, fill the tank, add a stabilizer such as Sta-bil and dump in a bottle of fuel injector cleaner. Running a full tank with cleaner in it once a year is the best thing you can do for a rarely used car.

Beyond that, other non-engine related items can go wrong from sitting. Cables, like the shifter, accelerator, and front lid release can develop problems. Brakes can rust out, pad linings deteriorate, steel lines rust, hoses crack. Similar problems can occur with a clutch. Always drive slowly and carefully double check all critical systems before hitting the freeway at 75mph!
3Rd gen F body floor pans/camaro door skin (L)

Why is it I see so many "Proud to be an American" bumper stickers on the backs of cars made in Japan or Korea??????
Ragtop_Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Fiero