Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Escape | Maverick | Escape Hybrid
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 04:11 PM   #1
MaxBURNOUT
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to MaxBURNOUT
Please help..

Ok heres the deal.. my grandfather has a 01 ford escape.. The car will turn over and run for about 1 sec then dies.. He has tried a new fuel filter.. thinking that it might be that.. still nothing.. he even went as for as to get a ECU and get it flashed and still nothing.. I did notice that there was a Theft light on the gauge cluster.. anyone else having similar issues and something that I should check out..

thanks
J
MaxBURNOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 07:54 PM   #2
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Re: Please help..

I think the security system has the unit shut down. Some locksmiths will fix this type of problem.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:34 AM   #3
Off_Timing
AF Regular

The theft light is a dummy light. It's used when re-programming keys and remotes.

I agree with the other response, sounds like the security system got tripped.

If you have the other key, try it.

Your only option may be to have it towed to a Ford dealer so they can reset the security. Bring both keys and remotes.
Off_Timing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:41 AM   #4
Off_Timing
AF Regular

Just thought about it. Check the fuel pump shutoff relay in the passenger side footwell. If for some reason it was tripped, you would get these symptoms.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:52 PM   #5
i_a_n112784
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to i_a_n112784

Fuel pump inertia switch will not set off the theft light. The ONLY thing that will start the theft light blinking is a PATS problem. PATS=passive anti-theft system a.k.a. the chipped keys. Either the key you're using isn't programmed, or for whatever reason the cluster no longer likes the key. Either way, it needs to be taken to a dealer with two keys so the system can either be reset, or the dtc can be retrieved, and the source of the error can be found.
i_a_n112784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:10 PM   #6
Off_Timing
AF Regular

I dunno about the PATS causing the Theft light to blink (never encountered it, all my keys work). But on some Fords, circa '00, the blinking Theft light is a dummy.

If you only have 1 working key, the dealer, or any reputable locksmith with a decent shop can re-program a PATS key. I bought a used 01 Escape and I only got 1 key and 1 remote. So I got a second key and remote and got them both re-programmed. Been there. The locksmith may save you a couple dollars, so long as they know what they're doing.

The fuel relay shut off is a shot in the dark. According to my Ford manual circa '00, a vehicle hit while parked (in a parking lot....mall parking lots are tough places in Toronto), the fuel relay shut-off can get tripped. Just trying to eliminate the cheap/free stuff before giving the dealer our hard earned money.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:11 PM   #7
i_a_n112784
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to i_a_n112784

the theft light always blinks slowly. but when it blinks quickly, the car will not start. (with the exception of some older focus's that have basically mold growing on the back of the IP, and they are an electrical oddity due to the mold creating circuits).
i_a_n112784 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Escape | Maverick | Escape Hybrid