Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-21-2002, 01:09 PM   #16
border_project
AF Enthusiast

i love turbo chargers a lot more.
superchargers are kind of lame. well not really but compared to a turbo its different.
i really like the sound of the blow off valve. and its easier and more fun to tune and get a lot of power.
border_project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 01:18 PM   #17
crayzayjay
CFA

Both -> Lancia Delta S4
crayzayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 12:47 AM   #18
Holyterror
AF Enthusiast

A supercharger will give you instant boost, preserve your low-end torque, and give you linear increases throughout the powerband. Superchargers are mechanically simpler, have their own oil supply, and don't require tons of extra plumbing. However, to get the kind of boost you would get from a decent-sized turbo, you'd need to start changing pulleys. You might be able to double your boost, but you'll also reduce the life expectancy of the s/c this way.

The turbocharger is more of a hassle in almost every way, but a turbo (or two) properly matched to your engine will give unparalelled top-end power. Turbo lag is the biggest turn-off to most people, but a modern ball-bearing turbo cuts that down a lot. If your motor is highly modified and revs fast, the benefits will probably outweigh the drawbacks. If you're trying to capitalize on the strengths of a nearly stock V8, think supercharger.

I saw a twin-supercharged Corvette LS1 engine in a Camaro one time. I think it went though a set of tires a week. I also saw a Camaro with some really ghetto exhaust piping and the turbos out of a 300ZX. It was actually driveable, but low and midrange seemed choked. A proper TT setup would certainly yield better results. BTW, I assume you have a Camaro, at least I read something that made it sound that way. Maybe I should've checked before I started typing...

Bottom line: it really depends what your car is and what you want it to do. If you are doing a camaro, you probably want s/c, but your torquey motor could make up for it (unless you drop a lot of compression to accomodate the turbo).

Member of AF's Slide Squad (Member #05)
Holyterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 12:58 AM   #19
CobraMan
AF Newbie

Ive seen good things done with turbo..but no doubt ATI Procharger is were its at..especially for 8's
CobraMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 01:26 PM   #20
Shaitan
AF Enthusiast

turbocharger
Old 06-04-2002, 01:39 PM   #21
Pikachoo
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Pikachoo
I like the fact that on a turbocharger you can vary the boost to fit your driving needs at that moment. If it's raining and lots of power is giving you problems, or for daily driving you want to minimize engine wear, cut down on the boost. A guy comes up and wants to go, crank it up and have fun. S/C means you have to change out pully's and that just takes too long(I'm impatient).

Cruising a Z24 right now, But I've got plans....

http://www.lingenfelter.com/lpe%20-%208%20sec%20Vette.mov
Pikachoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 02:48 PM   #22
LadyBuickGS
AF Newbie

I'm not sure if my Grandpa Buick belongs in this discussion or not, but I'll put in my two cents anyway.

I recently purchased a Buick GS/ with the Supercharged engine. It's 240 hsp, which is more than enough for me. I really bought the car for the ride and creature comforts, but it's nice to know I can get out of a sticky situation out on the road.

I've never noticed any vibration problems coming from the engine. It runs very smooth and decently quiet. Some of you may be talking about different kinds of supercharged engines....like in dragsters or something. Then that could be true in monsters like those.

:sun:
LadyBuickGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 06:03 PM   #23
What ya Smoking?!?
AF Enthusiast

ill go wit turbocharger!:bandit: :smoka: :smoker2: :ylsuper
Old 06-18-2002, 06:07 PM   #24
Ando_Rules
AF Enthusiast

id pick Supercharged because it gives out more power
Ando_Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 01:52 PM   #25
firebird2002
AF Newbie

supre chargers vs tt's

out of curiousity, why go with one or the other.....go with both. i was dumfounded when i saw an engine in the 47ft coast guard motor life boat. it was turbocharged and supercharged, at this point in time i am lost, i didn't think this was possible, if someone could explain this to me, feel free to e-mail me at wildthing_017@hotmail.com. from what i saw it is a real work of art, but is also a detroit deisel. i understand that the compression of a deisel is much higher than an unleaded vehicle, so would it be possible to put in a 350?

thanks
firebird2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 11:40 AM   #26
VieTxRiceRocket
AF Newbie

Having both SC and turbo is called Twincharging. HKS made a twincharger kit, and theres a few MR2s out there that are twincharged. Generally, though, twincharging is pointless, as you can get more total power going with a well-planned supercharger or turbo.
VieTxRiceRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 10:10 PM   #27
Pikachoo
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Pikachoo
The method behind the madness is to try and reep the benefits of both worlds.. a supercharger puts out a nice flat power curve on the low end, so you get that massive power boost off the line, but once you get into the higher rpm ranges, the S/C kicks off and the turbo's kick in, which gives you the higher max power that turbo's give.:alien2:

Cruising a Z24 right now, But I've got plans....

http://www.lingenfelter.com/lpe%20-%208%20sec%20Vette.mov
Pikachoo is offline   Reply With Quote