Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? Post here and one of our members will answer as soon as possible.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 04:20 PM   #1
jiimi62
AF Newbie

32's or 33's

Ok. so its finally time for some new tires. I believe I have fixed all the engine, mechanical, and suspension problems with my s10. Tires need replacing. I have an 89 4.3 4x4 with what appears to be a 3" body lift and shackles and torsion bar cranking.
I bought it cheap and used a year ago from a third party who didn't know much about the truck. It has an obvious body lift, I haven't measured but its way up there, and what looks to be homemade shakles. Basically long pieces metal acting as shackles but with several holes drilled which would allow me to raise or lower the hight. It's all welded and stuff just definatly looks home done.The previous owner apparently was a farmer or something who used it as a work/hunting truck. It was painted camo when I got it.
To the point. I currently have 31X10.5's on it and could easily fit larger tires. I have stock rims (15x7) and not going to get new rims. I would like to run bigger tires. Should I run 32X11.5 or 33X10.5 ? I have slight rubbing on the rear of the upper control arm bracket. On the top where it makes that corner. It hits the tire about an inch out from the rim. The bracket has been kinda rubbed smooth from the tires and the tires have some scuffing on them. Rubbing only occurs on full turn. So I try to minimize sharp turns.
I have found that 4" seems to be the largest difference in tire-rim width recommended. That 11.5" is pushing it but concensus seems to be it is fine. But I was concerned about wider tires rubbing more. The 33's are the same width as my current tires and shouldn't rub and worse. They should fit fine maybe minor trimming. But I was concerend about suspension wear, and with climing gas prices mileage.
I have no real functional problems with the 31's. The truck does look like it sits high becuase the tires don't quite fit the wheel wells. The larger tires would occasionally come in handy. I use it on alot of fields, sand, snow. Which in extreme weather can get pretty nasty. But I have found smart driving and proper tools and realizing the limits of your rig to be the most important. If larger tires will allow me to go a little farther or not get stuck that 1 or two times a year without seriously affecting anything else would be great. But if either option is going to significantly be worse i can definatley live with out it.
Should I go for the 33's and if so what should I expect?
Should I go for the 32's and what about rubbing?
Should I keep 31's and maybe get a real agresive tread to fill my bigger tire need.?
What about rubbing? New rims is not an option. Can I grind down the bracket a little? maybe put a steering stop in? Wheel spacers I have heard nothing positive about.
Any thoughts/suggestions would be great.
Thanks
jiimi62 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis