Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > 323/Protegé/Familia/Etude/Allegro
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 10:17 PM   #1
irishdubb
AF Newbie

need new engine

what is the most powerful engine i can put in my 94 protege
irishdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 11:23 PM   #2
irishdubb
AF Newbie

Re: need new engine

also my car is currenlty killing good exspensive batteries in a week and i took it to the auto shop they said the charging system and altenator are fine and suggestions on what it could be would really help
Old 02-07-2008, 04:51 AM   #3
Flash75
AF - Advisor

Are you driving around town with stop and go traffic with a high power music system with lights and heater all on? I don't know the maximum output current of your alternator but it probably isn't high enough to handle the driving conditions I asked about. In slow around town driving the alternator will not be operating at it's maximum output and may not run all the accessories and keep the battery charged. Get a cheap voltmeter that plugs into the lighter socket and monitor the voltage while you are driving, if it's running at 12.5 volts or less your alternator isn't putting out enough current to keep up with the demands.

Regarding you question about power, the real answer is another question. How much money are you willing to spend?

Clifton
Flash75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 11:04 AM   #4
irishdubb
AF Newbie

i am willing to spen a couple thousand on just the basic engine but i would like to know what cheaper options there are aswell i wanna end up with about 250-300 horse power including new engine and after market parts
Old 02-12-2008, 04:28 AM   #5
Flash75
AF - Advisor

I don't have an answer to your question but I think you have some very high expectations for the amount of $$$ you wish to spend. Most HP gains typically will cost around $100 for each 1 horsepower gained. There aren't many engines that will bolt into a Protege without some major changes. None of them have close to the power you are looking for.

Clifton
Flash75 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > 323/Protegé/Familia/Etude/Allegro