Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 07:32 PM   #1
chugaboom
AF Newbie

92 Ranger Tranny Swap.. From 4cyl to 6 cyl.

OK..
I have a 92 2.3 with a bad head gasket.

I have the ability to get a 92 3.0 with a bad trans.

I have searched and searched and everything I have found, (including the haynes repair manual), says that both trucks have the A4LD transmission..

I talked with a fella at the parts store who said the trannys may be the same, but they probably have different insides... But once again all the specs I have found says they are the same...

The two engines call for trannys with different part numbers in the Advance Auto Parts computer, which is where the aforementioned fella worked.

This is why my curiosity is peaked.

Any links to specs or information on these things would be helpful...

It will be well worth $500 for the truck if my trans will work!!

Old 12-07-2007, 11:14 AM   #2
TeamExploder
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to TeamExploder
Re: 92 Ranger Tranny Swap.. From 4cyl to 6 cyl.

You are right they both take the A4LD or M50D(manual) tranny's the 4.0 motor takes the same also....but how ever since the 2.3 is the small motor it may have a lower gear ratio but it should be alright, cuz if you can take a 302 and bolt it up to a tranny like that then the 3.0 shouldn't rip it apart or anything as long as its good now, these A4LD tranny's are weak.
TeamExploder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 06:30 PM   #3
chugaboom
AF Newbie

Thank you sir... I appreciate it... I passed on the deal... I realized it would be more hassle than it was worth anyway. I am now looking at another Ranger a 94, maybe 95, with the 5 speed. I had an 89 with the 5 speed 2.3 and I loved it. The one I am looking to buy is also the 2.3... And when all is said and done I will fix the 92 so I have two running... A question, because you seem to be versed in the Rangers... This one I am looking at has over 200,000 miles on it... I really do feel the guy has taken good care of it, and the body is CLEAN! How much more do you think I will be able to get out of this truck with good maintenance... he is asking $1200... I will be using it for work, so I do take good care of my vehicles(since they are my money makers)... The most I have ever seen from one is around 175,000... Any info will once again be appreciated..
Old 12-11-2007, 07:15 PM   #4
TeamExploder
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to TeamExploder

Yeah, I love the ranger and explorers which except for the body is basically the same build. Umm....I would kinda try to stray from the 95's....reason is because it was first year for new components in interior/wiring all that and sometimes not all things interchange with things from 94 or 96 which can be hassle if you can only afford junk yard parts and can't find the right 95 ranger in the yard. And bout which ever truck that has 200k miles on...I'm not too educated with the 2.3 I've heard of people getting 250k out of them at least with being very well taken care of and with you saying the body is clean then its high likely the truck wasn't beaten or anything and if no leaks are visible and the motor is sound smoot running then I don't know I myself wouldn't buy a ranger or explorer or any vehicle with that kind of mileage at that year for $1200.00. If you were to get a 4.0 OHV motor I could see you getting 300k or more with regular maintnance. But there's other things besides motor and tranny there is the ball joints/u-joints and everything else you've gotta take into consideration with a high mileage vehicle, ya don't want to buy it and then have to replace a bunch of drivetrain parts either because that could be pricey and time consuming.
TeamExploder is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > General Discussion