Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Hyundai > Accent | Verna
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 01:59 AM   #1
bobbyd3
Banned

Can anyone offer assistance with my brake problems

I have a 1999 hyundai accent 4-door.

My trouble all started about 2 weeks ago, I started noticing a low rubbing/grinding from the front wheels, sounded like front left
and the brake light came on. I had no choice but to drive it all week to work. It worse throughout the week, with some instances
of loud grinding/squeeling.

My first day off I took a look and the pads looked fine, rotors looks smooth but left caliper had a small tear in the piston
gasket/boot. I had to order the caliper as most accent parts aren't stocked. I had a 2 day wait so I put car back together and tried
to drive it, and it got realt bad with loud squeeling and grinding and pop/ping noise thrown in. So I just parked it and used my
motorcycle to get around.

I put the new caliper in and went for a test ride and thought all was fixed, no noise and brake light went out. Later on in the day I
headed out and all the noise started up again. Also now when its making the noises the pedal gets spongey and soft, but when
its not making the noise the pedal feels fine. But the noise is getting more constant now, 70-80% of the time if not more.

So I took it to meneke today for a free inspection and they said I had something majorly wrong and to come back in and pay $100+
for a diagnostic on monday.

So im thinking its the master cylinder or brake booster so I ordered them but its a 5 day wait, I mena what else could it possibly
be??? The brake fluids clear, and the reservoir stays full so isnt leaking out.

What do you think I should do? My plan now is to replace the master cylinder and booster, and while im at it ill probly put new
rotors, pads and a caliper on right (wheel bearings to while I have the hub ripped out). I really don't want to pay meineke $100
bucks for a laundry list as im sure they will tell me every thing needs replacing and give me a $2,000 bill. If I replace it myself it
will cost me 400-450.

So what do you think?? could it be something else wrong with it? Any insight would be greatly appreciated as I am not sure what the problem is

I dont want to drive the car at all its so bad, Im just lucky the weather will be decent so I can use the motorcyle
bobbyd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:33 AM   #2
Jalmir
AF Regular

Re: Can anyone offer assistance with my brake problems

From your description I first thought it was a wheel bearing, but then you said when the grinding is there the brake pedal becomes spongey and soft ... so I really don't know what it could be, the master cylinder would not cause those kind of sounds ... I really only see the wheel bearing, but don't know if it would change the brake pedal feel!
Jalmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:12 PM   #3
bobbyd3
Banned

I am pretty sure that the bearing is shot in the front left for sure, I can hear the bearing balls when I rotate the hub. Ive tried looking at service diagrams and it says I need all these specialty tools to get the hub/bearings etc.. off so Ill see how that goes.

Someone said I should try and re-bleed the brake lines as they think its air in the lines so hopefully I can get to work on this tomorrow and find out if I can change things out myself or if I need to go to a garage.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:22 AM   #4
Jalmir
AF Regular

It's always possible you have air in the brake lines, but I would try the bearing, they are usually made out of plastic (not literally, but Hyundai bearings are quite weak).

The problem with those bearings is that they are pressed on the hub, so you'll need a hydrolic press to get it out and install the new one, that's why I usually pay to get those changed, should be around 100$ with the new bearing.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:53 AM   #5
bobbyd3
Banned

$100 per wheel? the more I read into changing the bearing the more I think I cant do it, so Im gonna have to pay to have it done.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:38 AM   #6
Jalmir
AF Regular

yup 100$ per wheel

that's what it cost me, and unfortunately if you don't have the riquired tools you'll have to hand it to a mechanic!
Old 11-05-2007, 08:21 PM   #7
nickoolsayz
AF Newbie

well i can tell you from my personal experience with me 2 door hatchback 1995. i had same wheel barring problem. only my problem was much worse since i welded my hubs. the mechanics couldnt seperate them to replace certain parts. i bought the bearings and replaced them myself. i didnt have to have a press to repair it. its not recomended by most people. but i couldnt afford the mechanic and everything worked out perfectly. i only had to tap the bearings in gently and evenly. its an old mechincs trick i learned from my dad.

(this is all if your situation is from the bearings)
nickoolsayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 03:55 PM   #8
FAST0693
AF Newbie

Exclamation Re: Can anyone offer assistance with my brake problems

sound to me like when you contiue to drive with your brake,s making noise like it make em worst i would say you need new rotors IF they can,t cut them down also need pads if your master cylinder was bad your brake pedal would just go down to the floor with no motion do,t contiue to drive it will get worst
FAST0693 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Hyundai > Accent | Verna