Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Aveo
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 02:43 AM   #1
tonez_81
AF Newbie

05 Door Locks!!

I bought a used '05 Chevy Aveo back in May. I am very disappointed in it. I read everywhere about how bad these cars are and stuff. I love them, I really do. I used to have a '92 Geo Metro and a '95 Pontiac Firefly. So I am pretty dedicated to this type.
My aveo was a
locally owned car. It had one driver. And it only had 26,000 km on it. I haggled them down to only $9k from $15k. This car is fully loaded with pretty much all the fixens. There is one main problem here... The power locks... They will lock and the alarm will set with the keyless fob, but they will not unlock with the fob, the alarm will turn off though. Also, from the inside, they will not lock, but will unlock.
This is very intermittent, and of course it doesn't happen much when I bring it in (as with all car problems :P). But, They have been able to replicate the problem. It has been in the shop (the same dealership from where I bought it) every month for the locks. I have not gone 1 month without taking it in. This is pathetic. They practically replaced every part of the locks. They have had to call GM about this a couple times, and even GM didnt know what to do.
I am going in tomorrow and talking to whoever I can about this. I might even get a hold of the main man. I want something done. I know they try their best, they arent crooks like other dealerships. But this is unbelievable.
I'm wondering, has anyone else had any problems with the power locks not working properly??
tonez_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 03:16 AM   #2
emt1134
AF Regular

Re: 05 Door Locks!!

When you press UNLOCK, do you hear the lock actuator moving at all ?
emt1134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 04:40 AM   #3
tonez_81
AF Newbie

when i use the key fob, no. the lights blink twice to show the alarm is off, but no sounds.. oh, and.. when i try to lock from the indide, i can hear the relay in the passenger door clicking.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:40 AM   #4
emt1134
AF Regular

so neither the passenger door, nor driver's door unlocks correct ?
Old 10-20-2007, 01:28 PM   #5
tonez_81
AF Newbie

the driver's door is the main. if i lock the driver's door it locks all the doors, and the same with unloking. well.. its supposed to lock all doors. when i push down the driver's lock, the driver's door only locks. the others do nothing.

with the fob, no doors unlock. i have a 4dr aveo5.
Old 10-20-2007, 02:09 PM   #6
emt1134
AF Regular

can you list what they have replaced ? it sounds as if they are just throwing parts at your car, since it is under warranty.. I think someone really needs to sit down with this thing, and begin to utilize proper diagnostics.
Old 10-20-2007, 02:39 PM   #7
tonez_81
AF Newbie

i dont have all the paperwork infront of me, i could get it on monday, but i have some.

- replaced power lock relay in front pass door
- replaced front pass latch/lock assembly
- GM said to check ground for locks on pass side, seemed to be paint covering part, so there was not a good ground. paint was removed and ground was proper
- replaced driver's door lock assembly

--> all diagnostic tests came back ok. testing wires, everything came back ok. GM has not heard of this happening before.

As i said, I dont have all the paperwork, so what is listed above is most of what they did
Old 10-24-2007, 10:50 AM   #8
Melissayellowcar
AF Newbie

ARGH - my 2005 AVEO hatchback just started this week doing something similar - I do not hear the "chirp" nor do the lights flash when I lock with the FOB anymore. I assumed that this was just the sound I was not hearing, but on closer inspection, the little red flashing light that used to be in the instrument cluster is no longer flashing when the doors are locked with the FOB - I believe that this indicates that the security alarm is not functioning as well. I do not believe it is the same problem as described by tones81 however, since all of the doors seem to be locking o.k. - just no "chirp" , hazard light blink, or alarm light on the cluster in my case.

I have had this car since new in March 2005 and only have 51K on it to date. I love the size & style of this car, but the many "little problems" with the vehicle will definitely made me extra cautious if I ever think of buying a new Chevrolet product again.
- Have had the clock cluster assy replaced 2 x (clock would jump ahead every time the car was turned off)
- Have had the front "struts" replaced (I think that is what they are called - may have been sway arms - paperwork is not here with me) (weird squeak / grind noise in the front end when turning at low speed)
- Have had the car towed twice for the oil "BLOWING UP" all over the place under my hood - the first time apparently this had something to do with faulty parts being installed when I had the car recalled for the PCV valve replacement - the second time was apparently due to the fact the "the oil cap was not installed correctly and was LOOSE (I don't believe that for a second since it was 1900 km since the oil change was performed AT THE DEALERSHIP GARAGE when this occurred.
I am now having the same grinding / squeak noise reoccur when turning at low speeds. I also have an awful shake in the car when braking. Last time I had this in for an oil change AT THE DEALERSHIP they informed me I need new brakes all around, which is absolutely ridiculous since I onlyhave 51 K on this car. I am not and have never been hard on this vehicle, no crazy sudden stops, I gear down when braking etc. They also told me that my tires were worn out and recommended replacing them! Again, there is only 51K on this vehicle and I have had a full set of winter treads on winter rims installed for at least 4 months out of the year for the 2 years I have had this car. Nuts. This car sounds like it will be a money pit once the warranty is over. I paid almost $2000 for the warranty extension up to 5 years - 100K and now this is standard - burns my butt, it does!
Melissayellowcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 02:15 PM   #9
tonez_81
AF Newbie

Smile Re: 05 Door Locks!!

bit of an update here.. i brought it in, told them I am not taking it back until it is fixed. They weren't willing to give me a rental unless it was my expense for the insurance. I said no.. this is the 6th time it is in for this problem. do something now! I talked to the service manager and he got the dealership to pay for my insurance. So i didnt have to pay anything for my rental.
They looked at my car, had it for 3 days. The shop foreman brought it home with him to keep an eye on it.. They pulled the passenger door apart, and found a chaffed wire. they replaced it. 2 days after they replaced it it has been working fine. i didnt believe them. but i brought it home anyway and it has been working beautifully. who would have guessed, a chaffed wire could have caused so much lol.

And, they gave me a free oil change coupon, plus $100 off my next 2 services.

Im a bit happier :P
Old 10-26-2007, 07:19 PM   #10
emt1134
AF Regular

Unfortunately, we are not all programmed the same way. So one technician's diagnostic skills may not be as good as another. The chaffed wire should have been noticed during one of the very first steps in automotive diagnostics.... a visual inspection. Glad to hea everything is working again.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:29 AM   #11
mikedudley17
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to mikedudley17

lol shit my car locks dont work only when its cold. the rubber ring around the lock part itself shrinks too much around the lock and it will keep the lock pinned down so the car wont open.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Aveo