Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina APV
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 08:50 PM   #1
finalapproach
AF Newbie

'93 Abs Mil

I have a basic '93 with 3.1L.
I changed the rear shoes and now the ABS light stays on OR it goes out, but I get an "ice like" condition at about 10mph as I'm stopping (ABS thinks a wheel is locked). I think it is only coincidence but I am trying to find out. Is there a code reader I could use or do any of you have any pointers.

THANKS!!!!
Bob
finalapproach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 01:09 PM   #2
LMP
AF Enthusiast

Re: '93 Abs Mil

WHen one does a move and something unexpected follows, I lean on "non coincidence" ..but now what?
I've seen that the rear ABS sensor on my '93 was gone (separated by corrosion from the hub, ) when I changed the rear left bearing hub (was gone BEFORE I changed the hub ) so just playing around can have done something there..not sure why it would block the wheels but then, if it has fallen in axle hole like mine it sees no rotation hence thinks you are on ice...this is not a diagnostic, just an allegation....but may be check for that.
By the way, my ABS is down (surely for the sensor that was down, probably because the other is also shot..I did not check) ahs has been down for years...and I do not complaint. SO may be to alleviate the inconvenience you describe while looking for the solution, just pull the ABS fuse .
Old 09-03-2007, 09:04 AM   #3
Jeffi
AF Newbie

Similar prob with my 94 APV 3.1. Pulled the fuse some time ago and it's been great except for the ABS light (which I may pull next). My supposition is I have a sticky brake cylinder or binding shoe but now that ABS isn't kicking in all the time, it might be a while before I check it out!!
Jeffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 07:31 AM   #4
finalapproach
AF Newbie

I did dig into this and resolved the problem. This might be some help for those of you that might want to fix this problem. First, it was a coincidence that that I had this problem after installing the rear brakes.
The '93 does not have the ABS system linked to the MIL, so you have to check it out the old fashioned way. Pull the ABS speed senor connectors (located in the wheel wells). Using an Ohm meter measure the resistance of the sensor (It should be around 1K, I believe). Then with the wheel off the ground, change the meter setting to mV. Spin the wheel (sounds like a drinking game), the voltage should increase as the wheel spins faster. It will probably be around 100mV.
My issue was traced to the LF sensor/bearing assembly. The resistance was over 4K.

Bob
finalapproach is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina APV