Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? Post here and one of our members will answer as soon as possible.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 09:41 PM   #1
gold10go4
AF Newbie

Weird gas gauge

My 2000 S-10 gas gauge was reading properly for a long time, then suddenly started reading empty when it sat idling. Now when I start out and it revs up, the gauge returns to its proper position. As soon as it idles down, the gauge returns to empty. Does this sound like a voltage problem?

Long after this symptom appeared, the gauge began to show an incorrect amount of gas also. I can be almost on empty but the gauge reads full or almost full. I think this problem is unrelated to the other. The other problem still persists, because even though the gauge is inaccurate, it suddenly shows empty as soon as idle goes down.
gold10go4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 10:50 PM   #2
2001jettavr6
AF Regular

Re: Weird gas gauge

i had the same problem with my chevy silverado i guess its just a sensor messed up at most
2001jettavr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:04 PM   #3
old_master
Advisor/Moderator

Re: Weird gas gauge

The fuel level sender is attached to the fuel pump housing in the tank. The sender can be serviced separately, but the tank must be dropped and the entire module must be removed from the tank to do it. The level sender is a cheesy set up. As the mechanism and contacts wear, the contacts lose contact with the resistor causing an intermittent connection and sometimes an open circuit. Sounds like that's your problem, you'll see what I mean when you see the level sender.
old_master is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis