Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 5 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 01:41 PM   #1
hxgaser
AF Regular

99 528it vs 00 540it

Well, I got married and as always have a kid now. My 2 door coupe doesn't cup it anymore. So as noted above, I am considering a 5 series wagon.

528, that I am considering has sports-premium package with cold weather and stuff. 540 has sports package with navi. Obviously 528 is with 4 speed, and 540 is five speed. Is 2.8L inline six enough for pusing 4500lbs wagon? I need to go test drive them, but for now I just wanted to get people's opinion. Thanks.
hxgaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:09 PM   #2
sidewinder69
AF Regular

Re: 99 528it vs 00 540it

A wagon? *Shiver*

Just go all out and get a 750 IL, you know you waaaaaant it.

Seriously how fast do you want to go? The inline sixes are made for torque so it should have no trouble pushing that car up a hill.

If you live in the FROZEN TUNDRA like I do up here in Canada you'll want the cold package option, and you'll be thanking yourself for it, if you live in Cali....hmm not so much.

What you could do is chain them both on the rear bumpers and gun it at the same time to see what would win...might have to put a damage deposit down though.

The thing is with the 540 I you have the power should you need it, you also have a wider, longer and taller car, it'll cost you though.

Have fun on the test drives!

Beamer:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...4&id=761900240
sidewinder69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 06:30 AM   #3
dizzle1
AF Regular

I highly recommand you to buy a 99-01 740iL Sport M-Parallel's Navi and with all that legroom you can't complain one bit. But I like the 540i but a wagon just isn't right only a sedan. Here is a 99 540it 5auto and 99 528it 4auto or 5spd comparo, my advice its best to have an auto and 540it to 60mph in 6.3sec over the 528it 8.9sec for auto and 7.9 for 5spd. For your last question a 2.8 pushing or racing a 3800lbs wagon for what I think you might pay to get to 60mph is way to slow and very disappointing. You'd be better off in a 94-96 chevy carprice or buick roadmaster estate wagon LT1 5.7L 260hp 335tq and seats 8 for way less a steel frame and a hitch to haul ass Impala SS aftermarket parts. Have you ever driven a 7 series you dont what your missing until you do your then addicted to buy it, seriously great cars.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...rticleId=43937
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...rticleId=44070
dizzle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 09:10 PM   #4
hxgaser
AF Regular

740??? I don't know... you know I maybe married with a child, but not really a grandpa yet... I know I have not driven a 740 but I think it is too much of a boat.
I scheduled couple of test drives next weekend to see how they are. I did find a 5 speed 2.8L wagon, but it is 500 miles away from where I live. I guess I will test out the 4 speed auto, I6 vs 5 speed auto V8. Meantime, how are they in reliability? I understand that I am getting a german, so routine maintenance and misc electrical gremlins are expected; however, do you think there is a huge maintenance difference between the 6 vs 8? Any inputs appreciated.
hxgaser is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 5 Series