Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > TrailBlazer | Trailblazer EXT
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 03:57 PM   #1
lopht
AF Newbie

Special lug nuts?

I had winter tires put on a few months ago by Tirecraft (tires and rims) and now I go to swap them for my factory tires and notice that there is one special lug nut on each tire that cannot be removed without a special wrench / attachment. I've looked through my Trailblazer and couldn't find anything that helps. Is this factory or is this something Tirecraft uses? Anyone else know what I'm talking about? Am I crazy?
lopht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 08:10 PM   #2
gmpartsman
AF Newbie

Re: Special lug nuts?

It's called a locking lug nut, or a wheel lock, or a security lug nut. Tirecraft probably put them on, as I haven't seen an TBs w/ factory locks (I work at a GM dealership). Contact the Tirecraft to see if they have the key tool to remove them, or a record of what lock they may have installed so they can order a replacement key. Unless you live in a high crime area, I would have Tirecraft replace the locks with a factory lug nut, as the keys always seem to come up missing, and at the most inopportune times ( i.e. when you have a flat on the side of the road in the rain!)
gmpartsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:29 PM   #3
rodeo02
AF Enthusiast

Did you ever touch the wheels before on this truck? You should have a 'key' with a hex nut end that allows you to remove those locking lug nuts. I doubt a tire shop would throw a set of locking lugs on without you knowing! Years ago I worked for McGard Inc, a major manufacturer of locking lugs. If they could see what you have, they could match you up with a key if you lost the documentation associated with them. Non-McGards? I have no idea. Gotta grind flats, weld a nut or break them off somehow.

Joel
Old 05-01-2007, 09:23 AM   #4
lopht
AF Newbie

I've never touched the tires before this, and searched the vehicle for a key and couldn't find one. My thought was the same... what happens when I'm in the middle of nowhere with a flat and have no way to change my own tire? Plus, who is stealing winter tires with cheap steel wheels anyway? I'll call Tirecraft. Thanks!
lopht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 03:59 PM   #5
fortcarp
AF Newbie

BTW if anyone is wondering...like me, the recommended torque for the lugs is 103 ft pounds, final torque. Don't wanna warp rotors!!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > TrailBlazer | Trailblazer EXT