Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? Post here and one of our members will answer as soon as possible.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 07:38 PM   #1
kingsinjun
AF Newbie

Question 94 S-10 Starting Problems

My 94 2WD Blazer's fuel pump went out, I replaced it along with the strainer and filter. It was a pain by the way. Now it will not start and run unless I pour gas into the intake, runs fine till that little bit of gas gets used, then dies. The pump is working, fuel is getting up to the intake and all. I don't have a book and cannot get one yet, but I have to get to work, I missed 2 days over this already.
John
kingsinjun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 09:48 PM   #2
blazes9395
Newbie mod

Re: 94 S-10 Starting Problems

What type of engine do you have, is it a vin(W, CPI or Z, TBI) code engine. Either way, you need to get a fuel pressure guage on there and see what you have. The only difference being, the pressures are different on each of these engines, so we have to know which engine type you have.
blazes9395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 02:11 AM   #3
kingsinjun
AF Newbie

Vin is W.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:57 PM   #4
kingsinjun
AF Newbie

I beleive I found the problem ! LOW fuel pressure.
I checked the cpi solenoid with my ohm meter, showed 4 ohms, so at least I know that circuit is not open. I have voltage on the connector also. Then did what you said, and just bought a fuel pressure gauge, I checked for 11 psi, and I know I need 54-64 psi. The only thing I can do now is blow the lines out, if that doesn't work, I am going to drop the tank again,(pain in the ---), and be sure that the polarity is correct on that brand new fuel pump.
Any other suggestions please ? And WHEN I get this great piece of equipment running, I will post what happened and how the problem was corrected, y'all helped me, I will share what happened so maybee someone else can be helped.
JOHN in Savannah
Old 02-10-2007, 03:14 PM   #5
riptide44
AF Newbie

post back and tell me what happens when you hook up the fuel pressure guage .

koeo does pressure hit 60 then drop - how fast or slow .
riptide44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 04:28 PM   #6
kingsinjun
AF Newbie

Angry Re: 94 S-10 Starting Problems

When I hook up my fuel pressure gauge, it goes up to 11 psi, and stays there till I bleed it off. I did that several times to get the air out of the lines, but still only 11 psi. I also found out that Advance sold me the wrong part. The lines are clear and I should have 54-64 psi, but this part is the wrong one, and I am on fire over this. I just sent Advance a very "colorfull" Email. On top of that, the homeowners ASSociation told me if I can't fix it in 30 minutes it has to go in the garage, or get it out of here.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:21 PM   #7
ericn1300
AF Premium User

be sure to replace the fuel filter whenever you change a fuel pump and while both are removed blow out the fuel lines.
ericn1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 10:49 PM   #8
riptide44
AF Newbie

i assume by the wrong part you mean they sold you a fuel pump for a tbi engine and not cpi - that would explain the 11 psi . i seem to catch the parts guys every now and then confusing tbi and cpi and ive even seen some of there parts books making the confusion as well . if you havent already - try to get a delphi or ac delco pump - i've had alot of early failures with both carter and bosch - by the way delphi and ac delco are the same just different name stamps

when you get the new pump in recheck the pressure koeo and koer if something doesn't look right post back with the findings
riptide44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 02:47 AM   #9
kingsinjun
AF Newbie

The thing is, I pulled up a Master(by Airtex) fuel pump E3720 on Advance web site, thier parts computer pulled up an E3902 which is wrong. The 3720 did the job, but I have to bypass the harness to the fuel pump as there is a intermittent break in the wire from the relay, I knew that was there. I knew the old fuel pump was bad also for sure. But it did start once yesterday and ran fine untill that intermittent connection showed it's ugly face. I will get some wire and take care of it after work. but I have to be at Briggs & Stratton this morning to pick up a load of engines, so I need to get out of here. Thanks for all your help !!!
I will post later after I get my Blazer running reliably.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:50 PM   #10
kingsinjun
AF Newbie

Thank you all for helping me with my 1994 S-10 Blazer.
I did what you said and checked fuel pressure, that told me I had the wrong pump sold to me. I got the correct pump, and it starts and runs, untill I was messing around with the wires. So I found an OPEN connection between the ECM, and the pump, BYPASSED it, and the Blazer is running fine. And I bypassed the harness from the relay to the pump. Now I get trouble code 54, LOW FUEL PUMP VOLTAGE, and that tells me that the OPEN connection IS between the ECM and the fuel pump.I will take care of that low voltage ECM problem another day. It's not that big of a deal , I know what to do about it !
So thank all of you !
For my assistance to all of you:
I went to DeVry Institute, years ago. I have a good understanding of electricity, and electronics, as I service and repair monitors, TV's, computer keyboards, and other electronics items as a side job. As an example, this PC I am pounding the keyboard on, is not A computer. It is a BUNCH of computers ! I found it at the dump, and brought it to life, so any of you have any electronic related questions ? I AM HERE FOR YA !
And anyone here in Savannah,Ga.?
I will be more than happy to help ! kingsinjun@yahoo.com
And I will give you my phone number if you really have a problem.
John

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis