Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Mustang > Mustang Talk
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 08:29 PM   #1
Muscletang
AF Premium User

got to drive an '03 Cobra

Backstory

Ok I went to school with this girl for 13 years so I've known her pretty much my entire life. We're the same age and when we graduated she invited me out to her house for a little party. Well I get there and her family, friends of her family, and several of my friends and hers are there.

While I'm there I start to talk to her boyfriend about Mustangs and such as his dad owns an auto shop and he's a big Ford fan. Well the girl's father overhears us and tells us a guy he knows owns an '03 Cobra and he's there at the party. So he goes and gets him and this guy in his 80's comes over.

The thing is this guy wanted something fast so he went to a Ford dealership and asked them what they had. They showed him the Cobra and told him all about it and he took it for a drive. When he got back he said, "I guess it's fast enough." So he paid cash right there for it and left.

Anyway, we talked for an hour or two about his car, past cars, ect. He lived in California and did business with the girl's father so that's how he knew them.

Fast Forward

Saturday the girl I know and her boyfriend got married. After things were done he came over and he told me the guy drove the Cobra out here and let him drive it. The girl's dad also got to drive it as he's friends with him. They also said he was asking about me as I showed great interst in the car when I last talked to him at the graduation party.

So I find him and start to talk to him. He said he put a full exhaust on it, an intake, new tires, and a 14 pound pully on it. It was his gift to let the groom get to drive it. Well I ask him to take me for a drive and he agrees.

We get out there and get in and fire the thing up. It sounds good...real good. I asked him how many miles he has on it and he shows me, 12,500. I then asked how much horsepower it's putting to the wheels. He calmly replies, "between 450 and 475."

He pulls it up to the highway and turns on and then walks into it up to about 4,500 before shifting. He does this through the first four gears and GOOD GOD that thing layed me back like no other car I've been in. He was easily up to 120 before I could blink. He then tells me how he's liking the extra boost and how it helps with the throttle response and shows me how it jumps better at different revs in 3rd and 4th gear.

After a mile down the road he says, "you want to give it a try?"

HELL FUCKING YES I DO!

I told him, "sure if you have no problem with it."

So he gets on a long stretch when no cars can be seen as he stops in the middle of the highway. He then romps on it and turns the wheel doing a 180 in the road turning us around and then he pulls over and lets me get in.

I took a deep breath as I pull out and start to put my foot into it. The guy notices and asks me not to go above 4,500 as the engine hasn't been running too long and he doesn't want to stress it too much. I don't question but I took it as close to 4,500 as I could. I shift into 2nd gear VERY quickly and the shifter is very smooth with nice short shifts. When I get into 3rd I keep laying into the gas easly passing 100. When I get into 4th I let off at 120 and start to slow down to the speed limit.

I slow her down and down shift into 3rd where I'm at 3,000 rpm. I then look at the boost gage and start to give it half throttle. The damn needle on that thing snapped all the way over as quick as I could lay my foot into the gas. As I did this I noticed how well it responded and how quickly it pulled. With every little press into the gas my head snapped back. It would jump 5 mph with 1/4 gas and 10 mph with 1/2 gas the mili-second my foot got into the gas and the longer I left it in the faster, MUCH faster, it got.

I then give her one last rev up and walk into it again and shift into 4th passing 100 again. I then see the church up ahead and start to break and down shift. I was amazed at how well this thing was able to slow down. I didn't have to step into it as slowing down seemed very simple for it even at high speeds and short distances.

I pull it back into the church parking lot and pull it in. The guy then adds, "yeah I'm wanting to put gears in it since I can't go past 160 so I might as well get there a little quicker." Dear Lord I can't even imagine that.

Anyway I thank him and tell him he made one of my dreams come true. He says, "yeah I don't drive it much so what miles it does get it might as well be from some people who enjoy it and have a little fun while they do."

So we lock up the car and start to walk back to the gym where the after wedding dinner is going on and he gets to going again and tells me this.

"What I'm looking forward to is those new Shelby Mustangs. If I get one though, which I think I might, it'll have to have over 600 horsepower for me to really enjoy it."

Well that's my story. Some parts I may have been a little off but as this happened my senses were in overload and it's hard to express all the details as I was trying to remember so much at once. I hope you guys enjoyed reading it though as much as I enjoyed living through it.

All I can really say though after driving it is this....

I LOVE THAT CAR!!!!!!!

silly rabbit, tricks are for kids...

I mean, WHY COULDN'T THEY JUST GIVE HIM SOME CEREAL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars Ulrich
What?! Record sales are slumping? Must be from all those pirates. Can't be because we started sucking 10 years ago.
Muscletang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 11:04 PM   #2
neatofrito1618
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to neatofrito1618 Send a message via Yahoo to neatofrito1618
Re: got to drive an '03 Cobra

Cool shit, I've always wanted to ride in/drive in a Terminator. But he sounds like a pretty cool guy.
neatofrito1618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 11:18 PM   #3
brokenantimatter
AF Regular

I got to drive THE very first finished Shelby Cobra. No real back story Carroll Shelby is a cousin and my brother built transmissions for his racing team.
brokenantimatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 12:43 PM   #4
TheStang00
AF Enthusiast

i want one of those cars... good stuff
TheStang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 02:02 AM   #5
DR1FT
AF Newbie

eh.. you need to get out and drive more cars. I've driven a cobra and a c6 vette, the vette is a million times nicer.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:22 PM   #6
BlackGT2000
AF Enthusiast

batting a 0 here.
BlackGT2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 09:40 PM   #7
TheStang00
AF Enthusiast

good god stop bringing up old threads.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:59 AM   #8
b3warnick
AF Regular

Not that old of a thread .. only goes back to June

Anyways....it was all about the fun some have had being in and/or driving a Cobra, then someone had to mention the almighty, perfect, 'vette
b3warnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 11:58 AM   #9
TheStang00
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3warnick
Not that old of a thread .. only goes back to June

Anyways....it was all about the fun some have had being in and/or driving a Cobra, then someone had to mention the almighty, perfect, 'vette
well the vette is nicer probably, but the price is the big difference there.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:07 PM   #10
Muscletang
AF Premium User

I had a nice thread and I have an asshat come and ruin it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR1FT
eh.. you need to get out and drive more cars.
Shut the hell up. I'm 19 and 99.999% of the kids around my age and in this area will probably not even ride in the damn car, let alone get a chance to drive one.

I've drove two 5.0 Mustangs. One was mine and one is my dads. I don't know many people that have owned two 5.0s at the same time.

My cousin got a brand spanking new 2004 Mustang GT and she let me drive it. She had only had it a couple of weeks.

I've rode in a ZR-1 Corvette.

I've rode and drove in my friend's '71 Chevelle with close to 400 horsepower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR1FT
I've driven a cobra and a c6 vette, the vette is a million times nicer.
Even though this Cobra would walk that Corvette but oh...I guess that doesn't matter

P.S. Advertising another forum on here is against the rules and is a bannable offense. Might want to take that out of your sig.

End rant.

silly rabbit, tricks are for kids...

I mean, WHY COULDN'T THEY JUST GIVE HIM SOME CEREAL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars Ulrich
What?! Record sales are slumping? Must be from all those pirates. Can't be because we started sucking 10 years ago.
Muscletang is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Mustang > Mustang Talk