Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Mountaineer
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 09:34 AM   #1
billtopshelf
AF Newbie

Question Help 04 No Heat!!!

Please help, My 04 Mountaineer which is out of warranty (50,000 on the clock) has no heat. Fan works, but when I turn heat up air is cold, to a little warm at best. I have dual and both are the same. I can hear what sounds like a dragging or scratching noise when I adjust the heat. This would be the door moving or binding? Sounds like it is coming from behind my stereo or right under my dash board. Also when I put the control on auto A/C or heat the air only blows to the floor. I can manually put it anywhere…Please help big trip in three day’s…Must have heat. Thank you in advance.
billtopshelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 12:40 PM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: Help 04 No Heat!!!

Does your '04 have the Electronic Automatic Temperature Control (EATC) HVAC system, or the manual controls?

You should probably look under the dash for disconnected or damaged vacuum lines for the HVAC system. I'm not very familiar with the '04 Mountaineer, so I don't have details for you. You may want to pick up a service manual for your '04, or take it to a shop if you really need to have the problem remedied quickly.

But keep checking back on the forum. Someone on this forum may know the system well. Unfortunately, this forum does not seem to be very active. You may want to search on the Explorer forum as well (which seems to be more active than the Mountaineer forum) to see if this has been a common issue on the Explorer.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 01:08 PM   #3
billtopshelf
AF Newbie

Sorry my bad yes it does
Old 09-20-2006, 08:32 PM   #4
shorod
SHO No Mo

With the EATC, you can actually have the EATC perform a self-diagnostics.

Per the factory service manual:
Dual Automatic Temperature Control Module — Diagnostic Methods

The dual automatic temperature control system must be diagnosed by first retrieving any DTCs, if present.

l An on-demand (hard fault) DTC indicates that the fault is currently present. An on-demand DTC suggests a wiring fault, disconnected connector, or component failure.

l A continuous (intermittent) DTC alone (corresponding on-demand DTC is not present) indicates that the fault is an intermittent condition and may not be currently present. A continuous only DTC suggests a poor wiring connection, loose pin or terminal, or intermittent component failure.

On-demand (hard fault) or continuous (intermittent fault) DTCs can be retrieved using a scan tool. If using a scan tool, refer to the scan tool operating manual.

On-demand DTCs can also be retrieved by carrying out the Dual Automatic Temperature Control Module Self-Test. To retrieve and/or clear continuous DTCs carry out the Dual Automatic Temperature Control Module — Retrieve Continuous DTCs procedure. Always carry out the Dual Automatic Temperature Control Module Self-Test before retrieving continuous DTCs.

If no DTCs are present, refer to the symptom chart for the appropriate diagnostic action.

Dual Automatic Temperature Control Module Self-Test

The DATC module self-test will retrieve on-demand (hard fault) DTCs only, it will not retrieve continuous DTCs. Continuous DTCs can be cleared when exiting the DATC module self-test. Make sure to retrieve continuous DTCs by carrying out the Dual Automatic Temperature Control Module — Retrieve Continuous DTCs procedure before clearing any continuous DTCs.

l The DATC module self-test will not detect concerns associated with data link messages like engine coolant temperature or vehicle speed signals. A scan tool must be used to retrieve these concerns.

l The DATC module self-test will detect concerns in the system control functions and will display on-demand (hard fault) DTCs for concerns that are present during the self-test. The vehicle interior temperature should be between 4ºC - 38ºC (40ºF - 100ºF) when performing the self-test. If the temperatures are not within the specified ranges, false DTCs may be displayed.

l The self-test can be initiated after cycling the ignition switch from OFF to ON. Normal operation of the climate control system stops when the self-test is activated.

l To enter the self-test press the OFF and FLOOR buttons simultaneously and release, then press the AUTO button within two seconds. The display will show a flashing blower icon for 20 seconds, after which all vacuum fluorescent segments will be displayed if there are no on-demand DTCs present. If DTCs are present the DATC module will display "00 00" and then on-demand DTCs. Record all DTCs displayed.

l If any DTCs appear during the self-test, carry out the diagnostic procedure. Refer to the Dual Automatic Temperature Control Module Diagnostic Trouble Code Index and follow the ACTION for each DTC given.

l If a condition exists but no DTCs appear during the self-test, refer to the Symptom Chart Condition: The DATC System Is Inoperative, Intermittent or Incorrect Operation.

l To exit the self-test and retain all continuous DTCs, press any button except DEFROST. The DATC module will exit the self-test and retain all continuous DTCs.

l To exit the self-test and clear all continuous DTCs, press the DEFROST button. The DATC module will exit the self-test and all continuous DTCs will be cleared.

l Always exit the self-test before powering the system down (system turned OFF). Once the self-test is exited the ignition switch must remain ON for at least 30 seconds to allow the temperature blend door actuators to automatically recalibrate.

l Continuous DTCs will be deleted after 80 ignition switch ON cycles after the intermittent fault occurs.

Dual Automatic Temperature Control Module — Retrieve Continuous DTCs

The DATC module will retrieve only continuous (intermittent) DTCs when carrying out this procedure.

l Retrieval of continuous DTCs can be initiated after cycling the ignition switch from OFF to ON. Normal operation of the climate control system stops when retrieving continuous DTCs.

l To retrieve continuous DTCs press the OFF and PANEL buttons simultaneously and release, then press the AUTO button within two seconds. All vacuum fluorescent segments will be displayed if there are no continuous DTCs present. Continuous DTCs are indicated by the presence of the degrees Celsius symbol (ºC) on the DATC module display. Record all DTCs displayed.

l If any DTCs appear, carry out the diagnostic procedure. Refer to the Dual Automatic Temperature Control Module Diagnostic Trouble Code Index and follow the ACTION for each DTC given.

l If a condition exists but no DTCs appear, refer to the Symptom Chart Condition: The DATC System Is Inoperative, Intermittent or Incorrect Operation.

l To exit and retain all continuous DTCs, press any button except DEFROST. The DATC module will exit the retrieve continuous DTCs mode and retain all continuous DTCs.

l To exit and clear all continuous DTCs, press the DEFROST button. The DATC module will exit the retrieve continuous DTCs mode and all continuous DTCs will be cleared.

l Always exit the procedure before powering the system down (system turned OFF). Once the procedure is exited the ignition switch must remain ON for at least 30 seconds to allow the temperature blend door actuators to automatically recalibrate.

l Continuous DTCs will be deleted after 80 ignition switch ON cycles after the intermittent fault occurs.
----------------

If you find any trouble codes, post back and I will let you know what the code means. Or, if you would like the entire procedure in PDF format, send me a private message with an e-mail address for you that can accept attachments and a quick description of the request.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 09:03 PM   #5
billtopshelf
AF Newbie

Rod,
Thank's I sent you a my e-mail address and am now going to see what I can come up with.
Bill
Old 09-21-2006, 08:36 PM   #6
carlos80
AF Regular

sounds like the blend doors actuator/motor, does it do this even when set on dual mode? did the self test yield any results?
To enter the self-test press the OFF and FLOOR buttons simultaneously and release, then press the AUTO button within two seconds. The display will show a flashing blower icon for 20 seconds, after which all vacuum fluorescent segments will be displayed if there are no on-demand DTCs present. If DTCs are present the DATC module will display "00 00" and then on-demand DTCs. Record all DTCs displayed.
what sounds a little off is that you are unable to control either side, the sound that you describe is typical of blend door actuator failure but because its dual it would have two actuators, one per side, and although i have seen two fail at around the same time its highly unlikely. the fact that sometimes it comes through the floor only, regardless of your input, makes me lean more towards a faulty control module. perform a self test then get back to us.
carlos80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 09:18 AM   #7
billtopshelf
AF Newbie

I ran the test and the only code I can up with was this one. 12 59 - Solar radiation sensor circuit open - Go to Pinpoint Test E.

I was getting the same code on both tests. I realized it was probably due to me having the front part of the dashboard out and the sensor unplugged. I plugged it back in and it no longer gave me a code for the first test, but it was the same for the second one.

What I did notice after putting it all back together is that my outside air temp is no longer displayed. I am pretty sure when I put it together I left a connector going to my module unplugged.

As far as dual, it is the same. No heat reguardless of what side I use. Dual or auto.

Thanks,

Bill
Old 10-04-2006, 09:11 PM   #8
tch1718a
AF Newbie

With the engine running check the heat control valve by having someone switch the controls from off to defrost while watching to see if it diverts. Its located on the heater hoses by the firewall on the passenger side under the hood.
tch1718a is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Mountaineer