Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > TrailBlazer | Trailblazer EXT
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 09:11 PM   #1
tdiddyclan
AF Newbie

Red face any way to rebuild the fan clutch?

Any way to save the $200 bucks and rebuild the fan clutch on the I-6 engine? I have a 2003.

Last edited by tdiddyclan; 08-20-2006 at 10:30 AM. Reason: change info
tdiddyclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 07:55 PM   #2
nydeer
AF Newbie

Re: how to replace the fan clutch??

It's not a traditional fan clutch, which has proven reliable for millions of miles for millions of vehicles. GM gave us an electronic fan clutch that craps out, and even if you replace it yourself, you need to go in to the dealer to get a software update anyway... I got them to cover the clutch part, and I pay the install labor by buying dealer installed remote start kit. I looked at it as if they gave me the remote start free..
nydeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 08:01 PM   #3
rodeo02
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nydeer
....if you replace it yourself, you need to go in to the dealer to get a software update anyway... .
That's debatable. Many owners now have replaced the electro-mechanical clutch without the need for a software update.

Joel
Old 09-11-2006, 04:15 PM   #4
bmr7c
AF Newbie

I also replaced the fan clutch myself with no update and it's fine. It's not that bad. Loosen the bolts to tip the radiator back and take the shroud out. I didn't have to disconnect the tranny lines. I just unclipped them from the shroud clips and got them out of the way enough. It is electric so you have to disconnect a harness. And remember that the threads for the fan are reverse. It comes off hard. If you can get a clutch fan removal tool get it!! About a 2 hour job. A fairly easy back yard mechanic job.
bmr7c is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > TrailBlazer | Trailblazer EXT