Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Skyline | Skyline GT-R | Stagea | Laurel > Events, Meetings, Cruises
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 08:37 PM   #1
dannyY
AF Newbie

Skyline in the World Challenge Cup

Always wanted to see the GT-R as a winner in road racing here in the US and very disappointed after 3 rounds of the World Challenge. It looks like all three main components are not good: the car, the driver and the crew...
dannyY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 11:38 PM   #2
usagtrpilot
AF Newbie

Re: Skyline in the World Challenge Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyY
Always wanted to see the GT-R as a winner in road racing here in the US and very disappointed after 3 rounds of the World Challenge. It looks like all three main components are not good: the car, the driver and the crew...
Rookie driver/crew and car in development has to be taken into consideration. For them to come out the first year and dominate would be great, but highly unlikely. Gradual improvement is all that should be expected, and that's what they are doing.
usagtrpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 06:56 PM   #3
dannyY
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by usagtrpilot
Rookie driver/crew and car in development has to be taken into consideration. For them to come out the first year and dominate would be great, but highly unlikely. Gradual improvement is all that should be expected, and that's what they are doing.
But why other rookies have better results? The car was successful racing in Japan. I suppose, that the driver is not worse than other rookies. So it means that the engineer and the rest of the crew are unable to develop the car up to the level of the leading GT cars.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:49 AM   #4
merritr
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to merritr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyY
But why other rookies have better results? The car was successful racing in Japan. I suppose, that the driver is not worse than other rookies. So it means that the engineer and the rest of the crew are unable to develop the car up to the level of the leading GT cars.
You are making statements without doing any homework. You obviously are not familiar with the format of the SCCA Speed World Challenge series. Go browse around the website a bit to become more familiar:
http://www.world-challenge.com
For each car that enters the series the sanctioning body (SCCA) controls all aspects of modifications. They set minimum weight requirements for each vehicle. They look at engine and part specifications and they do modeling to determine the power output. They then inform teams of their limitations. They publish that information in a vehicle technical sheet (VTS) which is posted on the World Challenge website.

If team wishes to alter their VTS they have to plead their case to the SCCA. The SCCA then goes over their compiled data logs taken from all the series competitors and makes a decision. It's not a free for all.

In 2004 Cadillac brought out new CTS-Vs to the series. At the first race those cars destroyed the field. That was an experience the SCCA wants to avoid happening again. Since then they have been highly conservative with the allowances for new cars in the series. The GT-R is down, the Aston Martins are down, and the Subaru WRX STI is down... All teams have to work with the SCCA for changes to make the cars more competitive.

As for the other series rookies they are all (except for the Subbie) driving vehicles that have already established their VTS content from years of competing in the series.

I see that you joined AF.com just to voice your disappointment in the racing effort. While I am sad to see that you are quick to an opinion without researching the facts I am glad that the car did its marketing job and drew you to the website.
merritr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 10:07 PM   #5
dannyY
AF Newbie

I wish that the car will make its marketing job, I mean the real marketing job. Also I wish good luck to the driver and to the rest of the team.
All fans of the Skyline wish to see it as a winner. I'm very well aware about existence of the SCCA-pro regulations and I understand such things as power-to-weight ratio and power-to-torque ratio, airintake restrictors and other things. But this is the GT-R! And this is a turbo car. It means that you have tools to do something to get more torque and power. However, if the SCCA-pro regulations put the car in the situation that it is unable to win then, may be, it is better not to race at all. So far even the Aston Martin is faster.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Skyline | Skyline GT-R | Stagea | Laurel > Events, Meetings, Cruises