Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX > Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Technical Discuss Engine, Suspension, Drivetrain, and all other technical issues here.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 09:38 AM   #1
D-Bo
AF Enthusiast

manual tranny fluid

this is where i need sr20detpower.. i'm replacing the fluid in my tranny and i realize that the manual 240 needs gear oil, specifically something around the 80W-90 weight and must be a GL-5 oil... but apparently what is now GL-5 used to be GL-4, which is what i'm supposed to put in.. wtf.. so i picked up some quaker state non-synthetic 80W-90 GL-5 gear oil and lucas stabilizer.. apparently this is ok?!?

i need some reassurance that i won't be fucking up my tranny with this oil.. anybody done this before?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iVteC_PoWeR
to me when i really look at it hondas just too expensive and theres not much power even after you spend loads of money...

http://www.cardomain.com/id/dbo240

***LOOKING FOR A COUPE, ENGINE IS NOT AN ISSUE***
D-Bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 11:37 AM   #2
Vx-8
Banned

Re: manual tranny fluid

yo this be me, muhahaha

it will be ok.

u probably don't even require the lucas shit, I just put a generic gear oil in mine, i think its 85 90... same shit in my VLSD.

Pretty much what can happen with some trannies requiring special fluids is the material the synchro rings have on them, some like ATF, some like gear oil, some trannies shift smoother with synthetic, putting the wrong type of fluid in the wrong type of tranny can harm your synchro operation and shorten their life.......

you should be fine.

Vx-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 02:13 PM   #3
Hit_N_Run-player
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Hit_N_Run-player

Royal Purple makes GL-4 gear oil now, i saw it at GIjoes the other day. Im probably gonna get some of that because the only other GL4 i could find was at NAPA and it was some of there cheap shit. I think that the newer Subys are also running GL4 in the gear box, so if you know someone you might ask them.

Horsepower sells cars,
Torque wins races!
Hit_N_Run-player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 04:24 PM   #4
D-Bo
AF Enthusiast

srpower: so you're saying that i'm taking a chance?!? i'm slightly worried that the stuff i bought will be the shit that my tranny won't like..

hit n run, we don't have royal purple in stores here.. i know i can get it on ebay or something but that will take way too long.. i need to put the new fluid in today or tomorrow.. i only have 2L of gear oil and the tranny needs 2.4L.. so i might put the lucas in too..

you think thats ok??

Quote:
to me when i really look at it hondas just too expensive and theres not much power even after you spend loads of money...

Old 04-07-2006, 06:35 AM   #5
Vx-8
Banned

yeah, the GL ratings I believe are just some kind of worldwide quality specifications or something, thats what I've always thought I could be wrong

they are backwards compatible, GL-5 works for GL-4 etc... but GL-4 is not GL5. They do this shit on engine oil too....Don't think much about it, it doesn't really mean all that much.

you will be fine, you could piss in there and it would still drive down the road....

I couldn't see how the lucas would hurt it... do you have a quart of that and 2 quarts of gear oil?

as long as your putting gear oil in there it will be fine, something a lil thicker might make it more notchier or harder to shift, thats all. Just don't put in ATF or some other kind of shit cause that WOULD be harmful.
Old 04-07-2006, 07:49 AM   #6
sidewayzS13
doin it sidewayz

Send a message via AIM to sidewayzS13

sidewayzS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 11:30 AM   #7
Vx-8
Banned

from that thread I gather........

they say GL-5 is corrosive to brass, you won't see any damage anytime soon, believe me it won't harm it overnight... that kind of damage could almost take YEARS to do anything... if thats what u got now and need to run it, have at it. Those are helathy pieces of brass that aren't just going to deteriorate right away, seriously like I said u could piss in that motherfucker and still drive it.

I see people talk about using GM Synchromesh fluid, that shit is EXPENSIVE, they say the Penzoil version is just as good but cheaper, I've never used the Penzoil synchromesh.

I say use that GL-5 for a couple months or so just to get you going then switch out to the Penzoil synchromesh, if u can't find it locally order it online or such.....

I dunno some people will say I don't know what I'm talking about, I've only worked on THOUSANDS of manual transmissions..... take my spouting out with a grain of salt.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:48 PM   #8
D-Bo
AF Enthusiast

k forget it. i'm going with redline MT90. i just called a shop nearby and they'll have some for me on monday. sideways, that thread on FA is just a whole jumble of controversy. one guy uses the shit that other companies say never ever to use but it works, another guy uses it and it eats up his tranny.. i know people like MT90 so i'm using that.. thanks for the help srpower.

Quote:

Old 04-07-2006, 04:30 PM   #9
sidewayzS13
doin it sidewayz

Send a message via AIM to sidewayzS13

it is controversy7 the only reason i find it helpful i guess is because i frequent that forum as well and when im reading things there are normally a few people who really know there shit and the rest is just jibberish and i kinda know the posters to pay attention to
sidewayzS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 04:42 PM   #10
Vx-8
Banned

plus how do you know one person's clutch/hydraulic system and gearbox is not better then another person's... it is kind of an unfair comparison, they could say this type of fluid sucks while other people say its good because they have other problems beyond the fluid......

gear oil isn't that expensive, experiment a lil bit, once you get the right type you like, as long as it doesn't get water damage, the fluid is good for a very, very long time....

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX > Technical