Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > RAV4
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 11:06 AM   #1
cardriver
AF Newbie

97 RAV4 Timing Belt

I've got a bad slapping noise at idle, and acceleration. It sounds like my timing belt is slapping the cover. I just got a Timing Belt Kit (timing belt, tensioner pulley, idler pulley). I would love to save the money and do it myself, but I am a noobie when it comes to front wheel drive cars.

I *almost* have the top part of the timing cover off.. All bolts (that I could find) are out, and the cover is pretty loose (I can see the belt). I just can't get it all the way off. I noticed what appears to me to be the passenger side motor mount right in the middle.

Does the motor mount need to come off? If so, do I just brace the motor under the oil pan, or another part?

Will the motor have to come out of the vehicle do change the items that came in the kit??

I have pretty good selection of tools at home, and access to others if needed, so I feel that I could handle doing this with a few pointers, as long as the motor doesn't need to come out. Thanks for any help that comes my way!
cardriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 12:23 AM   #2
patsgmc
AF Newbie

Re: 97 RAV4 Timing Belt

Wow, a month and no replies? Bummer. I figure that you have it all sorted out by now.. How did it go? I've done a timing belt on that engine in a Rav4, Took twice as long as I figured, That motor mount, and everything else on that side of the bay had to come out. I didn't yank the engine, but I did grab the lift tackle with my picker, to hold the engine after removing that mount. I think it's ok to jack via the oil pan, use a wood block, and go easy.
Pat
patsgmc is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > RAV4