Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX > Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Technical Discuss Engine, Suspension, Drivetrain, and all other technical issues here.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 01:07 PM   #1
jcarlson420
AF Newbie

Question brake system upgrade

I had a quick question on braking upgrades for a 95 240sx. I saw a pretty nice package online for $430 (Includes 4 Brembo Slotted/CrossDrilled Rotors, 8 Brake Pads, and SS brake lines).

However, will I notice a good improvement in braking power with the stock master cylinder and calipers? Should I upgrade those as well? I was thinking about 300ZX parts for those two items, but they seem pretty hard to find. Can anyone give some suggestions on where I could find alternative aftermarket master cylinder/caliper parts for this car (or the 300zx parts)?

Thanks.
jcarlson420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 03:41 PM   #2
240SXSlideStar
AF Enthusiast

Re: brake system upgrade

The 300ZX master cylinder and calipers are really the only way to go, you can get Q45 calipers, but they aren't as good (2 pistons sliding as opposed to 4 piston solid or whatever the word is). The cross dirlled/slotted rotors won't improve brake power, they will decrease brake fade, the ss lines will just give you a stiffer pedal, but won't really add to the braking power, the pads are the only part of that package that add to the braking power.

JDM Racing Motors inc
Montreal, Canada
www.jdmracingmotors.com
240SXSlideStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 04:18 PM   #3
jcarlson420
AF Newbie

Thanks for responding so quickly.

I read through this website...

http://importnut.net/300zxbrakeswap.htm#compare

And it seems like the rear brake conversion to 300zx is way more work than I really want to do. Here is what I was thinking, please let me know how it sounds....

First off, I would be using the ZX Master Cylinder.

For the front brakes, would use the larger (11") cross drilled/slotted rotors, and the 300ZX calipers, as well as SS brake lines.

For the back, I guess I'd just keep the stock 240sx setup (Add the SS brake lines), but was wondering if someone could provide information on what size/type rotors and calipers would be a decent upgrade, besides the stuff from the 300zx, since that would be more work than I'm willing to do. Something that would be a very easy install/replacement.

Thank you for your help,

Justin
Old 01-13-2006, 08:29 PM   #4
240SXSlideStar
AF Enthusiast

Stock rear calipers are fine, get some good pads, ss lines and the rotors you want. As long as you have the front Z32 brakes with the MC, you wil be fine.

JDM Racing Motors inc
Montreal, Canada
www.jdmracingmotors.com
Old 01-14-2006, 12:57 AM   #5
2.4L of Torque
AF Enthusiast

Your brake biasing will be way off but I guess people get by with it but if your wanting to track it you may want to think of Z32 all the way around.
2.4L of Torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 07:09 PM   #6
jcarlson420
AF Newbie

nah, not going to be a track car, I just wanted some extra braking power to go along with the extra speed. Thanks for all the help everyone!
Old 01-15-2006, 03:58 PM   #7
Pavlo
AF Enthusiast

Re: ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.4L of Torque
Your brake biasing will be way off...
No it wouldn't, thats what proportioning valve is for. Under normal breaking conditions it allows full pressure to the rears until the factory preset limit is reached, after that the rears recieve a steady pressure no matter what front or rear calipers are. Thats what regulates the ballance, so I suppose you could also swap a 300zx proportioning valve, but I don't think it would do much of a difference. Besides rears do less than 25% of the breaking, so a good rotor, pads and lines really are all that you need for the rear. On most cars fronts are the breaks that need improvement, not the rears.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:13 PM   #8
xcusememisswyn
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to xcusememisswyn

*I run Z32 calipers up front, stainless steel lines and axxis pads all around. the braking is great, but i dont have the master cylinder. I wish i did, but im too lazy to get around to buyin one and puttin it in. I can stop on a dime, but its like an on-off switch, i push in a bit and feel nothin for a second, but once the brakes kick in its great. I believe that the brakes are right up next to my Apexi duals exhaust as my favorite parts of my car. All in all i spend 460 dollars on the brakes, pads, SS lines, rotors, and rebuild kit, and it was worth every penny.
*Rotors dont matter, i wish sometimes i had the x-drilled look, but you can buy the shittiest rotors and it will do the same thing.
*You only need to do the fronts, the bias b/n the two is good and as it was said before, the front is supposed to do up to 80% of the braking anyway.

RB20DET, 260whp, Drive to Destroy.
xcusememisswyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 11:01 PM   #9
240SXSlideStar
AF Enthusiast

The shitty rotors will overheat really quick and they will also warp in no time.

JDM Racing Motors inc
Montreal, Canada
www.jdmracingmotors.com
Old 01-16-2006, 11:48 AM   #10
xcusememisswyn
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to xcusememisswyn

theyll overheat if u autox or something, daily driving it should work fine, ive run my setup w/o warping for near 4 months now and they dont fade either...
with the z32 calipers, i dont have to press even half pedal and they will lock, and they are stopping an S chassis, which is probably 1000 lbs less than the Z chassis, the z32 sumitomos are doing nowhere near what they were engineered to do. overheating on the street is not really a concern at all.

tatII and fanatic, along with a lot of others buy the shittiest rotors, its not a bad thing if your not hardcore tracking your car, and for $150 cheaper, i dont regret it all.

RB20DET, 260whp, Drive to Destroy.
xcusememisswyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 01:15 PM   #11
240SXSlideStar
AF Enthusiast

When you say shitty, do you mean non slotted/xdrilled ones or do you mean the 30$ ones at Autozone? Cause where I work we have 20-30$ rotors that crack and warp in like 2 months.

JDM Racing Motors inc
Montreal, Canada
www.jdmracingmotors.com
Old 01-16-2006, 09:41 PM   #12
Pavlo
AF Enthusiast

Quality OEM are the best. Most of us will never need anything better.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX > Technical