Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-24-2001, 02:39 PM   #1
Mike H
AF Newbie

Aftermarket Bump Stops

Is it possible to just replace the rubber with urethane or do you have to swap out the whole thing? At first glance it looks like if you want to put on urethane bump stops you have to replace them, bracket and all.

Any thoughts, any part numbers?
Old 07-24-2001, 06:32 PM   #2
Synchro
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Synchro Send a message via Yahoo to Synchro
fronts or rears? sounds like you are talking of the rears, but i want to be sure.
Synchro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2001, 07:14 PM   #3
Aquamander
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Aquamander Send a message via Yahoo to Aquamander
I wonder....

if Energy Suspension (or the like) is going to make an Xterra specific kit to replace all the rubber.

Has anyone trimmed their exsisting bumpstops? (front)
Aquamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2001, 08:01 PM   #4
Mike H
AF Newbie

I am talking about the rear, its where I seem to hit the hardest when I do bottom out.

I haven't even tried to locate the front ones, do they look the same as the rear or different?

Also, would they be the same as the Frontier bump stops?
Old 07-25-2001, 09:08 AM   #5
Synchro
AF Regular

what setup are you running suspension wise that are bottowing out that bad? what shocks, shackels, add-a-leafs?

the front bumps stops are very differen from the rear ones. there are 2 to a side. one on the upper a-arm, one on the lower a-arm. they are tear drops of rubber about 2" or in length then cut in half. kinda hard to describe.

I imagine that they probably are the same, but you'd have to check that.
Old 07-25-2001, 09:48 AM   #6
Mike H
AF Newbie

I think I know what the front ones look like now from your description - thanks.

My rear suspension is stock, except for Bilsteins. The Xterra ones in front, Toyota T100's in back (in preparation for either shackles or an AAL).

Its not that I bottom out an exceptional amount, just occassionaly. But when it happens, its bone jarring. I think its because of two things. First, my inexperience 4wheeling and choosing the best line, but I am getting better at that on every trail run. Secondly, the rear of my Xterra sits lower than most others I have seen. It is more than an inch lower than my wife's Xterra.

So if I can smooth out the ride a little with urethane, I'd like to since I didn't think it would be that hard.
Old 07-25-2001, 10:40 AM   #7
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike H
Secondly, the rear of my Xterra sits lower than most others I have seen. It is more than an inch lower than my wife's Xterra.
Why not take it to your dealer and see if they will replace your leaf springs under warranty? Seems quite a few people have gotten this done.
Schludwiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2001, 11:12 AM   #8
Philosopher
AF Enthusiast

If you check under the "Modifications List" thread in the general forum, you can check the part # for the Energy Suspension low profile bump stops that I used in the front for a while. I don't recommend them because they made it much easier for my suspension to bottom out, which it did regularly while I had them installed.
Philosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2001, 11:55 AM   #9
Mike H
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by Schludwiller

Why not take it to your dealer and see if they will replace your leaf springs under warranty? Seems quite a few people have gotten this done.
I have thought about doing that but I didn't know a lot of people had them replaced, I only knew Ian XOC did.

I would like to make sure it isn't within spec before I go in there, does anyone know what the Nissan spec height is and the spot they measure it at? Specs of this nature can be a fairly large range right (an inch or more) - or no? My front end was lower than spec before the t-bar adjustment so it wouldn't surprise me if the rear is low too.
Old 07-25-2001, 12:01 PM   #10
OffroadX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to OffroadX
You can always have them compare to some new Xterras on the lot...

Brent
OffroadX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2001, 12:31 PM   #11
Synchro
AF Regular

both philosopher and myself have had our springs replaced. i think there are a few others as well. i you get that done, then put the AALs in you will sit nice and high in the rear.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail