Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 10:29 PM   #16
TheKeg
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 98 Windstar 3.8L-rough running at 1500 rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRW1000
Dougand3...............

Sometimes the desire to fix it yourself is 1/2 the battle. I find my repairs are a lot easier with people like 12ounce, Wiswind, CoachKarl (and many more) offering advice.

I am a big fan of those who solve a problem and finish off the topic with a summary of what they did to correct the problem (as you did).

I actually enjoy working on my van now.

Hello out there. First time posting...
Wow! 5 hours later, should have read this first. Did your findings seem to resolve all the issues a few months later now?

Looking at Service Engine light staying on, van running sluggish - sounds like the same senirio with the smoothness while idling and roughness when gas is applied, heavy!! gas smell with or without windows open (major headaches-actual - smile), gas coming out of exhaust pipe so thick that can catch "drips" in palm of hand fast enough to fill within 2 minutes. Did arch test with water last night - no sign of arching. Replaced sparks, wires, coil (primary failed Auto Zone's test - not by too much, secondary didn't fail at all), air filter.

One thing did notice was that hose leading from wheel base going into air filter was not connected (at all, appears to have been knocked off when brought to service station for tune-up 2500 miles ago). Unsure if that relates or not. Reset light a few times by disconnecting negative on battery. As soon as give van good burst of gas, comes back on.

Does this sound familiar? Getting ready to work on again tomorrow. Could use some lesson's learned pointers. Thanks.
TheKeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 10:54 AM   #17
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

Re: 98 Windstar 3.8L-rough running at 1500 rpm

Do you have the actual alpha-numeric code?
12Ounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 01:10 PM   #18
TheKeg
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: 98 Windstar 3.8L-rough running at 1500 rpm

P0302
Old 08-30-2005, 05:20 PM   #19
TheKeg
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: 98 Windstar 3.8L-rough running at 1500 rpm

you'll not believe what we came up with...

got ready to tear into the fuel injection system last night; turned out not to be that.

computer issues. have a non-grounding #2 cylinder fuel injector plug / wire that has had the computer telling it that she was hungry for more fuel when all she really wanted to do was get sick. explains why i was getting about 5 miles to the gallon (@ $2.57 for a gallon - ouch), having the heavy gas fumes coming in the van and gas leak out of the tailpipe.

we disconnected fuel injector plug 2 from its cylinder to stop the gas from continuing it's path of waste. basically, i've stopped the computer from talking with the fuel injection system - they are in "time out". running van right now on 5 cylinders.

ordered computer system today. tearing into it friday. hope to have everything, including wacky electrical issues (air conditioner, windshield whippers, ABS - smile, well know the ABS light spontaneously being on and being fixed by what we're doing is wishful thinking.

was told my cat. convert. is shot - good thing i just cleared my van with the state manditory immissions test. was also having gas pour into my oil lines so just had the oil changed, etc. too. hoping to not have blown my engine bearings at this point. praying she's going to be okay
now.

what an experience. thanks again for letting me read your experiences. be blessed.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:09 PM   #20
dougand3
AF Regular

Re: 98 Windstar 3.8L-rough running at 1500 rpm

Good that you found the problem. Bad that it is a costly fix. Welcome to the forum.
dougand3 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar