Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 07:46 AM   #1
threegoofs
AF Newbie

AC / fan only works on higher settings

Trouble. My AC in my 95 Windstar works fine as long as the fan is set to setting 3 or above. The low fan settings dont work at all.

I assume this is a short somewhere - how do I find it? Do I need to take the front dashboard panel off? How do I do that?

help!
threegoofs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 07:52 PM   #2
dougand3
AF Regular

Re: AC / fan only works on higher settings

I'd think blower motor switch has corroded contacts on speeds 1 - 2. If you can get to them, may be able clean them with fine sandpaper or electronic parts cleaner. Getting this switch out to do that requires removing multiple panels. The Haynes for your year should list the steps.
dougand3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 06:39 PM   #3
DRW1000
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by threegoofs
Trouble. My AC in my 95 Windstar works fine as long as the fan is set to setting 3 or above. The low fan settings dont work at all.

I assume this is a short somewhere - how do I find it? Do I need to take the front dashboard panel off? How do I do that?

help!
I assume that the blower only works at 3 or above regardless of whether the AC is on or not. In other words not AC related.

I would look at the resistors. The Blower motor itself has one speed. The way the it operates at lower speeds is through a series of resistors. At high there is no added resistor, at 4 there is one, 3 there is 2.... It sounds like when you go lower than 3 you introduce a part of the resistor circuit that is faulty and has an open (discontinuity). The resistor pack is replaceable as a unit.
DRW1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 09:53 PM   #4
threegoofs
AF Newbie

Re: Re: AC / fan only works on higher settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRW1000
I assume that the blower only works at 3 or above regardless of whether the AC is on or not. In other words not AC related.

I would look at the resistors. The Blower motor itself has one speed. The way the it operates at lower speeds is through a series of resistors. At high there is no added resistor, at 4 there is one, 3 there is 2.... It sounds like when you go lower than 3 you introduce a part of the resistor circuit that is faulty and has an open (discontinuity). The resistor pack is replaceable as a unit.
------------------------------------------------

Yep. You're right. It isnt AC related. And now when I get to 3, it doesnt work- it only works on 4 and 5.

I have a feeling this is going to be too tough to fix on my own... looks like a mechanic bill is in my future...
Old 07-29-2005, 01:07 PM   #5
DRW1000
AF Enthusiast

I can't speak about your abilities but if you need to replace the blower resistors then a Haynes manual and some basic sockets and wrenches should get you there. I will check the procedure and let you know what is involved. It may all depend on how much disassembly is required to get to the part in question.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:58 AM   #6
kurtr
AF Newbie

This was a very easy fix on my '98. If I remember correctly, you access it through the removed glove box cavity. (If not, it was even easier... the area above the passenger's feet.) Look for a plate about 1.5" x 3" with a wire connector coming out of it that has two screws/bolts. It is part of the van's duct work. Very easy fix.
kurtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 12:28 PM   #7
threegoofs
AF Newbie

Re: Re: AC / fan only works on higher settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtr
This was a very easy fix on my '98. If I remember correctly, you access it through the removed glove box cavity. (If not, it was even easier... the area above the passenger's feet.) Look for a plate about 1.5" x 3" with a wire connector coming out of it that has two screws/bolts. It is part of the van's duct work. Very easy fix.
-------------------------------------

Kurt-

Thanks for the info - I think I will tackle this one on my own. Now I just have to hit a library/bookstore to find a manual on where it will be....

I did see what the part (resistor pack) looks like from a picture online. that will help.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:08 PM   #8
threegoofs
AF Newbie

Did It!

DRW and Kurt -

Thank you a thousand times.... I found the resistor pack right under the glovebox, got it out easily, and called the Ford dealer and got the replacement part for $20. The old resistors were very corroded and the connections were broken.

I think I replaced the whole thing in about a half hour, and most of that was figuring out how to unclip the darn electic connector.

It works, too.

I bet I saved myself $100++
Old 08-04-2005, 09:54 AM   #9
DRW1000
AF Enthusiast

Glad to have helped. Thanks for posting your response too. (It makes for a complete reference in the future).

I hope you continue to visit this site. You are now the resident resistor pack expert.

Congratulations on attempting the repair yourself. Not only did you save the money I will bet you feel really good too.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:26 PM   #10
fdunford
AF Regular

Cool Re: AC / fan only works on higher settings

You have to love the age we live in with tools like this forum and the search feature!

On Friday my fan died (except high). I did a search that night and read this post. I found a resistor pack at NAPA, Part Number BR223 for $21.49 and had it fixed on Saturday.

S.E. Michigan
fdunford is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar