Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Coffee Break (Off-Topic) > COMPLETELY off-topic
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
COMPLETELY off-topic Talk about anything other than cars. But you can't be mad and angry in this forum!
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-09-2001, 05:18 PM   #1
dre
AF Enthusiast

Fighting Speeding Tickets

Well, most of us have got them, but how many have fought them?
And, How many have won?

I'm in the process of preparing for fighting one.
I've found somethings that I didn't know, but I'm sure there's more...

Any hints?
Or, maybe I can offer some help to others. My brother's girlfreind's sister works for the Public Defenders office, and she's told me some stuff that should help me out, and maybe others.
dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2001, 07:00 PM   #2
primera man
"P-Man"

Send a message via AIM to primera man
You may have to explain this one a bit better dude as to why you got one.

The bottom line is if you were not speeding you would not have got the ticket....but it sounds like there's more to the story

Current Build.....1/12 Scale Camaro......Almost finished!!!

View All My Models Here.
primera man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2001, 07:40 PM   #3
dre
AF Enthusiast

ok...heres the story

I got two tix in about 2 weeks.
1 I can go to traffic school.
The 2nd though, all I have to lose in fighting it is the time. And since I sit around at work all day doing nothing, it's no problem to not be in most of the time. And I'd still get paid for the time at the court.

Here's what happened with the 2nd. I was taking a freeway eastbound transition to another south. He was sittin down the 2nd's shoulder about 1/4 mile south of the transition, but he couldn't see the ramp, or me until about 1/8 mile past the ramp. He said 81 in the 65. I say that to go 81 on that transition would be pretty tough in most cars. (that might be kind of a gamble if they will ask..well what kind of car was it?)

So now I'm learning anything I can about this. I found I have the right to all the evidence that the prosecutor has.
The right to radar manuals (if radar involved) for operating temps, things that interfere with etc.
The records of the cops recent training..is he up to date?
Have traffic studies been done on the area in past 5 years? No, than the speed limit can be unsafe.
etc.

The worst that could happen is I pay the same fine, and some minor court fees and learn about the courts for the next ticket to come.
The best is I walk away with some cop crying like a baby in front of the court, and all the other people watching the trial start cheering and all the women....well, maybe a pipe dream...but you never know:smoka:
dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2001, 08:38 PM   #4
primera man
"P-Man"

Well i guess you have not got much to lose.
If your right about the speed i say your within your right to question it and to see what happen's.

View All My Models Here.
Old 07-10-2001, 01:17 AM   #5
Jay!
Horizontally Opposed

Send a message via AIM to Jay! Send a message via Yahoo to Jay!
First thing you do is get the court date postponed. Twice. You know, if the officer doesn't show up, you win. But, bad news for you, the California Highway Partol has been pretty tight lately about making sure the cop does show up.

Second, find any way to explain your story so that you were acting in the interest of safety. Judges like that.

Good luck. Let us know what happens.
Jay! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2001, 07:17 AM   #6
DVSNCYNIKL
R.I.P. DAD 3/25/11

Send a message via ICQ to DVSNCYNIKL Send a message via AIM to DVSNCYNIKL Send a message via Yahoo to DVSNCYNIKL
I'm about to go to court in august to fight 3 tix that this bitchass cop gave me. He was a real asshole and on top of that, he didn't even let me explain the situation to him. He just called me a fuckin maniac and walked back to his car.

My story was simple. It was a sunday morning about 9ish. I was driving to work. Now mind you, in the morning I am just so naturally sluggish that speeding is the last thing to go through my mind. As I was driving, this arsehole in a Mercedes S500 comes flying up my ass like a bat out of hell. Anyway, I am in the passing lane about to pass this really slow ass car that is in the middle lane and there is about 1 car space between us. The guy in the benz then all of a sudden floors it and squeezes right in between us. He clipped my bumper and next thing I know, I'm facing the concrete median. I pulled the car to the right as fast as possible and regain control of the car. I then proceed to follow this true maniac to get him to pull over. Finally I just changed plans and started to look for a pen to take down his license plate. Here's where the bullshit begins. I couldn't find a pen and I have lousy memory so I try memorizing his plates and notice that my exit is coming up. This guy then floors it again and takes off. Mind you, we're doing 65 already. Now I switch lanes quickly cuz I don't know where the highway goes after I get off and proceed to look in my rearview when guess who should show up, a cop. So I pull over at the first available shoulder and thought that maybe he was going to help me to find out who this guy was when he came out and said that I was doing 90mph, tailgating, and improper lane change. I was like :huh:. I couldn't believe what he was saying after this guy clearly took off right in front of him and he pulled me over. Then he insulted me and went to his car and wrote up three tix. I am going to fight this one cuz I am not going to risk messing up my clean record over a stupid cop that was on a power trip.

Oh, and he didn't even clock me and he wasn't even stationed on the highway that I was on. He apparently happened to get on as I was pursuing the benz, so he didn't even see what happened.
Old 07-10-2001, 07:41 AM   #7
primera man
"P-Man"

DVS...THAT SUCKS MAN

Good luck and i hope you find the dude that smacked the back of you.

View All My Models Here.
Old 07-10-2001, 07:42 AM   #8
DVSNCYNIKL
R.I.P. DAD 3/25/11

Send a message via ICQ to DVSNCYNIKL Send a message via AIM to DVSNCYNIKL Send a message via Yahoo to DVSNCYNIKL
Quote:
Originally posted by primera man
DVS...THAT SUCKS MAN

Good luck and i hope you find the dude that smacked the back of you.
Nah man! He smacked the front of my car. He was fuckin' crazy driving!!
Old 07-10-2001, 09:41 AM   #9
i_rebel
Banned

Send a message via AIM to i_rebel
My advice to you bro . . .

Hire a lawyer. It is the best thing you can do for yourself. I've fought seven summonses this year, the result of two seperate incidents.

One incident netted me four tickets and the other got me three.

I hired a lawyer for one incident, and fought the other by myself . . . basically I was charged with a DWI, speed in excess of 100 plus two other lane change or imprudent speed type of tickets . . . the lawyer helped me to get 14 hours community service, in addition to 3 points and a fine. I kept my license.

The other incident that I fought myself cost me 250 in fines and a 45 day suspension of my license.

Hire a lawyer . . . it sucks, but anything that you have to say in your defense sounds better coming out of the mouth of a lawyer . . . at least when you're appealing to the ears of our "justice" system . . .
i_rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2001, 10:50 AM   #10
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie
Quote:
Originally posted by i_rebel
My advice to you bro . . .
. . . basically I was charged with a DWI, speed in excess of 100 plus two other lane change or imprudent speed type of tickets . . . the lawyer helped me to get 14 hours community service, in addition to 3 points and a fine. I kept my license.
Im a pretty lose and liberal type, but DWI is something you should pay for, its about the stupidist thing I can think of doing that involves a motor vechile.
(or am i just another sucker of our goverment anti drink drive adds?)

DSV that really sucks! did you ever get the assholes plate number? it would be great to haul him up in court.
Old 07-10-2001, 12:42 PM   #11
i_rebel
Banned

Send a message via AIM to i_rebel
Quote:
but DWI is something you should pay for, its about the stupidist thing I can think of doing that involves a motor vechile.
(or am i just another sucker of our goverment anti drink drive adds?)
- Actually, I agree with you . . . DWI is something you should pay for, and you are a sucker.

Seriously though . . . My summons was actually for "Driving While Impaired" . . . Intoxicated driving is something I'll not willingly participate in. On the night in question, I had my last drink approximately 2.5 hours before I took to the road. The odd thing is that I felt sober, and was quite sure that I was since I decided to wait it out a bit.

On a breathalyzer I blew a .06 . . . apparently, in NY, that is the legal threshold where ticket writing begins . . .

I thought I had covered my ass . . . next time I'll wait 3.5 hours . . .:sun:
i_rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2001, 11:29 AM   #12
Porsche
Pretty much amazing

Send a message via MSN to Porsche
Ho much did you drink? If you had six beers in one hour then that means your level will remain high until a full six hours has passed. We did this in Health this year. I think the ration is 1 Beer an Hour and you'll be below the legal limit, but the legal limit in Ontario (Canada) is a higher .08. So it depends.

ec437 on grammar;
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec437
I'd've
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2strokebloke
Any car built by "Dr. Technology" is probably not worth $5000
Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote