Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 12:47 PM   #1
njd117
AF Newbie

blend door actuator on 1999 windstar

how do i go about getting to the blend door actuator to replace it. i believe that is my problem. i have no cold air coming through the vents. i here a clicking sound when i turn my a/c on and put the thermostat to the coldest setting. it sounds like it is coming from under the dash.
njd117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 04:46 PM   #2
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

Re: blend door actuator on 1999 windstar

Yes, you may be lucky and only have a failed blend door actuator. Electrical device. Held in place by three screws. Just behind the radio.

(If you are slender and flexible, you can inspect without removing the radio ... but for the rest of us ....). Actually, I replaced one recently without removing radio ... and I'm a bit rotund!

If it is not the actuator but a failed blend door, you can buy a new air plenum for about $300 ... plus about $1000 labor to install.

Or you can do a c-section and remove/repair existing blend door. A weekend job ... but not nearly as huge as replacing the whole air plenum.
12Ounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 06:23 AM   #3
garync1
AF Enthusiast

Yes that sound like the problem I had ,the actuator motor is 56 to 58 bucks if i recall. Was not a hard fix. Pull the radio, pull the center console just below the radio out a little and push in the sides of the glove box so it will drop down. The parts in side of the motor are plastic and wear out. I would take the part out and take it with you because the did not know what to call it. They pulled the numbers off and had a few in stock. I think it said motor asembly on the bill. I think its 3 screws holding it in. and a plug for the power. The dealer had that part instock so it lets you know they have a problem with it. Dealers dont like to stock parts unless they know they will use them.
garync1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 02:18 PM   #4
njd117
AF Newbie

Re: blend door actuator on 1999 windstar

when i put it back in, do i need to worry about the position of the climate control lever or will it automatically fitwith the d shaped pin

Quote:
Originally Posted by garync1
Yes that sound like the problem I had ,the actuator motor is 56 to 58 bucks if i recall. Was not a hard fix. Pull the radio, pull the center console just below the radio out a little and push in the sides of the glove box so it will drop down. The parts in side of the motor are plastic and wear out. I would take the part out and take it with you because the did not know what to call it. They pulled the numbers off and had a few in stock. I think it said motor asembly on the bill. I think its 3 screws holding it in. and a plug for the power. The dealer had that part instock so it lets you know they have a problem with it. Dealers dont like to stock parts unless they know they will use them.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:48 PM   #5
njd117
AF Newbie

Re: Re: blend door actuator on 1999 windstar

thank you i replaced the actuator. the door opens as i move the climate control. it still isn't blowing cold. could it be freon and do you know what kind?
Old 07-16-2005, 04:51 PM   #6
garync1
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: blend door actuator on 1999 windstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by njd117
thank you i replaced the actuator. the door opens as i move the climate control. it still isn't blowing cold. could it be freon and do you know what kind?
It will use 134a . sorry the blend door motor did not solve this.. Keep in mind you maybe be able to sale the old one to someone on here....The clicking sound may be the compressure clicking on and off because its low on freon.. not sure.. the clicking clunk sound from the dash is usally the blend door.. There is a pressure switch on the system to shut down the AC compressure when it is low on freon. It will sometimes click the compressure on and off when its at a low freon level.
garync1 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar