Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-11-2005, 08:09 PM   #1
quick771
AF Newbie

Engine Studdering Problem

First off I have a 98 Windstar GL with 109K miles.

My engine studders really bad when taking off from a stop. It also does when going up hills and at times when increased output is needed.

However when I mash down a little harder on the gas the problem seems to go away. The van will usually downshift, if I am on the highway, and then pull strong. But again it feels almost like it's pulsing or that the power delivery is choppy. The check engine light is also on and sometimes blinks.

It almost acts like a car that is on the verge of running out of gas. Has anyone here ever experienced the problem before? I would like to sell the van and get into something which gets better gas milage, but I cannot sell it for very much in the current condition that it's in.

All replies are welcome.

Thanks
quick771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 08:46 PM   #2
fdunford
AF Regular

You need to pull the codes to really know whats going on for sure. Some places will do this for free (autozone).

It will not hurt to do the lower intake cleaning and a IAC cleaning if you haven't done them yet. You can search on these topics and get a step-by step procedure on them.
fdunford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 11:38 PM   #3
quick771
AF Newbie

Re: Engine Studdering Problem

thank you guys very much for the help
quick771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 10:37 PM   #4
CoachKarl
AF Regular

hello quick771.

I solved your problem on my 95 3.8 157 K miles by replacing the plugs wires and coil pack. Turns out the coil pack was the culprit.
But, my opinion is . . .

Your van and mine differ in that yours has those infamous egr ports. Cleaning them out involves carb cleaner, a drill bit and a shop vac. Very cheap to do but will take an afternoon/evening/weekend/ / . If you've never cleaned them, do so, then if the van is still "bucking" change the ignition components.

Karl
CoachKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 12:35 AM   #5
Mickirig1
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Mickirig1
Re: Re: Engine Studdering Problem

How many miles on the fuel and air filter? Should go 15K before changing.
Spark plugs should be good for 30k between changes, make sure the coil pack has no carbon tracking to ground and is clean of "crud",use dielectric grease inside each boot on the spark plug wires. The computer does not measure or record all perameters of components.
Make sure everything is plugged in and no broken wires or dirty connnections.
I have had 2 Windstars 3.8's that are the best engines I have ever owned period!!!
Mickirig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 10:25 AM   #6
hillslen
AF Newbie

I experienced a studdering in my 97 Windstar with 103K miles after I first bought it in 2003. It turned out not to be the engine but the transmission. I had the xmsn oil and filter changed, and an additive put in it. Six months later, I had the transmission flushed by a quick lube shop. The car has been running smooth since.
hillslen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 02:18 PM   #7
vmvatbaby
AF Newbie

Look, this is the exact same drivabiltiy issue is happening to my 98' Windstar, 122000, the famous code p171 and p302. Every ignition componet changed, cleaning of egr ports, IAC, MAF, pcv changed. I will not be surprised when he/she check thier codes they will be similar in codes. I have nickle and dimed parts and nothing, nada, zilch, zero! Yes, it is frustrating. Good luck quick771. Let me know what you may find.
vmvatbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 07:39 PM   #8
wiswind
AF Moderator

I solved a misfire by cleaning the ends of the fuel injectors....sprayed some carb cleaner up inside the end cap on the spray end. Have to take the fuel injectors out of the head to do that. Have to remove the Upper intake manifold......and the fuel rail. So.....is a good thing to to when you clean the EGR ports. To verify if it is the EGR ports. TEMPORARILY remove and plug the vaccum line that goes to the top of the EGR valve. Take the car for a drive (THIS WILL SET FAILURE CODE(S) and light up the check engine light....."insufficient EGR flow"). If the stutter is gone....then the EGR ports are most likely clogged.....leaving 1 or 2 ports open......so 1 or 2 cylinders (Cylinder #1 &4) are getting all the EGR gasses.....causing a misfire.
Reconnect the vaccum line to the EGR valve.

The upper manifold gaskets are reusable.

I would have the codes read first....as I mentioned.....the test will set additional codes.
You can have ONLY a misfire code on 1 or 2 cylinders.....caused by clogged EGR ports.
wiswind is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar