Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 04:57 PM   #16
vmvatbaby
AF Newbie

Re: Windstar 98 I feel like throwing

what do you mean the wires are delicate? Is there a way to take the Sensor apart? I know when I had the air duct off I had the MAF seperated from inside to clean the oil/gas brown crap that was inside and around the air temp sensor. The way the MAF was set up it doesn't sit on the inside wall so it will not catch any liquid, horray for ford for a nice design. I will take your advice dougand3 and get some elec. cleaner, I can use it on my computer keyboard too. quick question .... Wouldn't I be throwing a Lean Bank 2 Code If it were the MAF? Having problems since December I always throw the Bank 1. Thank you, VM
vmvatbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 05:33 PM   #17
DRW1000
AF Enthusiast

I would think you would get both banks lean if it was a failure common to both banks. It may be that one O2 sensor is a bit more sensitive. Have you thought about swapping sensors from bank to bank to see if the problem follows the sensor or stays with the bank?

I think the electrical cleaner is a spirit based cleaner not just a can of air so it would not be useful for your keyboard.
DRW1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 07:36 PM   #18
vmvatbaby
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Windstar 98 I feel like throwing

Would a O2 cause drivability problems like i've decribed? I ll have to try swapping out sensors....upstream? closest to head? Do you have a name for the spray/elec. cleaner? VM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRW1000
I would think you would get both banks lean if it was a failure common to both banks. It may be that one O2 sensor is a bit more sensitive. Have you thought about swapping sensors from bank to bank to see if the problem follows the sensor or stays with the bank?

I think the electrical cleaner is a spirit based cleaner not just a can of air so it would not be useful for your keyboard.
Old 06-04-2005, 02:07 AM   #19
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

I'd swap all four sensors; bank 1 >< bank 2. Look for corrosion on the elect connectors.

I've noticed cleaners available in Costco and Sams Club. I bought mine at RadioShack, "Precision Electronics Cleaner".
12Ounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 11:39 AM   #20
vmvatbaby
AF Newbie

where are all the sensors at? I know there are 4 but I only see 2. 1 in front just below enjine on exaust and the other is right at the cat. where else could air be getting in on the other side of the air plenum to set off a bank 1 lean? ...VM
Old 06-05-2005, 10:57 PM   #21
wiswind
AF Moderator

Cleaning the MAF....I have a couple of pictures of my MAF.....that shows the hole that you want to spray the cleaner into.....and the hole on the back side that you want the fluid to flow out. I clean mine by holding the MAF assembly with the screen (air filter side) toward me.....and the throttle body (non-screen side) away from me. Also with the plastic bar sloping so that the hole that you spray into is higher than the hole on the back side. This way....you spray into the hole....and the fluid flushed out any dirt.

Upstream oxygen sensor for the rear bank, you can only see it from under the car.....and then, you may need a flashlight to see it. It is located in the PIPE just below the exhaust manifold. The one that goes into the back of the catalytic converter....is the downstream sensor. I would swap ONLY the upstream sensors as they are the ones that would give you a lean code. The downstream sensors are to monitor catalyst efficiency.

The main point that I would not swap the rear ones at this point.....is...that when I was changing my catalytic converter assembly.......and went to remove the oxygen sensor from the back of the converter.....the ring that the oxygen sensor screws into....broke right out of the converter with very little force applied. Was not a major deal....as I was changing the converters....but would not be a good thing for someone who was not planning to change the converters.
If you look in my pictures.....I have a picture posted of the new and old conveter assembly side by side......and you will be able to see all the oxygen sensor locations.

Pictures at http://community.webshots.com/album/201931518cScpNK

Also....If you DO end up finding that your problem is an oxygen sensor. You will want to replace BOTH of the upstream sensors. This way they will both have the same switching speeds. Oxygen sensors tend to switch slower as they get older.
I would also recommend that you use only Motorcraft brand of oxygen sensor. You can get the Motorcraft brand for a reasonable price at www.rockauto.com

Also, put a little anti-seize on the threads (only the threads) of the sensors......new ones have it already on the threads, but your old ones will need it when you swap them. A little PB-Blaster onto the threads (only the threads) of your sensors about an hour before you take them out will help to free them up for easier removal.
wiswind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 04:25 PM   #22
vmvatbaby
AF Newbie

Than you I will try this hopefully this week... Would a bad sensor cause some drivability issues like descriped above?
Old 06-06-2005, 08:03 PM   #23
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

Oxygen sensors can certainly cause driveability issues ... so can a thousand other things.

I've lost track, what are the current codes and what are the current symptoms?
12Ounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 10:46 AM   #24
pmaloney
AF Newbie

I just had my intake cleaned out on my 98 3.8l. it was so clogged that basically everything was going through one port and it was burning up the spark plug.

Did you change your spark plugs yet? It may also be a good thing to change your wires if they haven't been done.
pmaloney is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar