Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 07:33 PM   #1
30fords
AF Newbie

Question rear spark plugs 98 windstar 3.8 liter

can anyone tell me how to get at the spark plugs on the rear bank of my 98 windstar with a 3.8 liter.

thanks,
30fords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 08:29 PM   #2
BCMedic
AF Newbie

Re: rear spark plugs 98 windstar 3.8 liter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30fords
can anyone tell me how to get at the spark plugs on the rear bank of my 98 windstar with a 3.8 liter.

thanks,
On my 97 I tried doing it from under the van after I safely had it up on ramps and decided it was both more dangerous and also way dirtier than anticipated. I chose to remove the 2 piece black cowl/wiper assembly and put a big pillow on top of the motor and then it was an easy (somewhat comfy!) reach to the back.
BCMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 08:45 PM   #3
DRW1000
AF Enthusiast

I changed my 99 from the top after removing the cowl assembly. It was still a pain in the rear and I had to go by feel (good thing it only needs to be done every 100K) but it was accessable.

Ensure you use the Double Paltinums (Motocraft or Autolites) so they will last.
DRW1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 03:47 PM   #4
vmvatbaby
AF Newbie

Look, it is much easier to remove the cowl, then to try and get them from underneath. However, if the plugs are old be very careful not to break a plug like I did. Make sure you have the right position. My #1 broke because it was the most akward to get to even with the cowl off. 98 windstar, VM
vmvatbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 11:07 PM   #5
CoachKarl
AF Regular

Those two plastic pieces come off pretty easy on my 95. It exposes all the heater hoses too. You should consider changing any/all of those as long as you're back there. I lay a piece of plywood from the radiator to the intake manifold to support myself when I'm working back there. Be careful not to slap the windshield with a pair of pliers when you try to back your head out of there. . . like I did.

Karl
CoachKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 02:14 PM   #6
DMS825
AF Newbie

I'm only guessing, but I think most people who say it's too hard from underneath, haven't slid themselves back far enough towards the rear of the van when they reach for the plugs. I can honestly say it only takes about 5 minutes to get them from underneath if you're far enough back towards the rear. The hardest part is pulling the boots off the plugs since it's difficult to get much leverage, and they've probably not been removed since the van was built.
DMS825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 08:24 PM   #7
DRW1000
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: rear spark plugs 98 windstar 3.8 liter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMS825
I'm only guessing, but I think most people who say it's too hard from underneath, haven't slid themselves back far enough towards the rear of the van when they reach for the plugs. I can honestly say it only takes about 5 minutes to get them from underneath if you're far enough back towards the rear. The hardest part is pulling the boots off the plugs since it's difficult to get much leverage, and they've probably not been removed since the van was built.
I did mine from the top and removing the boots is the hardest part from that angle too.
DRW1000 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar