Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 11:04 AM   #1
Mantis1982
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Mantis1982 Send a message via MSN to Mantis1982 Send a message via Yahoo to Mantis1982
Question help a newbie out

Hey guys,

I'm a newbie to this site and have read a lot of you guys stuff and I can really see that you all know ur stuff when it comes to sound systems. I was just tryin to get some opinions on the sound system that I'm starting to build. I am kinda new to this so bear with me:

I bought 1 10'' alpine type R sub (2 ohms) with dual voice coils. It's the 1021D model with a custom made box to fit on the map compartment in the back of my explorer.

AMP: alpine mrd-m500 mono amp. 900w max power. 400w rms at 2 ohms (can I even drop down the sub to 2 ohms if it's just one?) It's a digital amp and from what I've heard i'm not even tapping into what this amp can give me....any tips?

Head Unit: Pioneer 7400MP. It's one of those with little screensavers. It's a 50x4 head unit.

Mids: I got 4 pioneer 3 way speakers. 6x8 speakers….i think they’re 220watt max, not sure…….and I got those powered by a power acoustic (yes, I know…::sigh: it’s a gothic series amp 600watt max, ov600 model number. I was thinking about getting some more money together and changing that amp with a alpine….but I’m still workin on that one.

Basically, what I wanted were opinions on the system as a whole. What do you guys think I can change to make it better?….I don’t have much airspace on my truck since it’s an explorer sport and have 4 ga. Wire running to everything. I was also trying to get some opinions from you guys since you all really seem to know your stuff when it comes to sound systems. Anything you guys think I should change? Help a newbie out J
Thanx in advance.

sorry for the long post...but please feel free to critique, don't hold back, it'll really help me out.
Mantis1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 07:04 PM   #2
sr20de4evr
AF Enthusiast

Re: help a newbie out

well it's a budget setup for sure, but as far as budget setups go it looks pretty decent. What do you feel is lacking? We need to know that first before we can tell you how to improve. If you don't think there's enough clarity, not enough bass, not enough midbass, not enough tuning features, etc, let us know and we can give you a few options.

'05 Silver WRX STi
Injen SES Downpipe, HKS Carbon-Ti catback, Cobb Stage 2 Tune, TiC Super Shifter, TiC Klunk Killer, Tein springs, Nitto NT555R Drag Radials
sr20de4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 09:06 AM   #3
Mantis1982
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Mantis1982 Send a message via MSN to Mantis1982 Send a message via Yahoo to Mantis1982

Well, I was thinking about first of all changing the mids--I feel as though the sub outdoes the mids and I want a bit more clarity. I want a balanced sound, not too much bass....I'd like an alpine amp because I've been really happy the way the sub amp has been working for me. And I'd also like to get a different head unit--I like the way the alpine cda-9835 looks--but do u think it's too much for what I got? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Mantis1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 09:23 AM   #4
highteknology
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to highteknology Send a message via MSN to highteknology

if u got the money go for the 9835. i bought the 9827 and am more than pleased with it. the only thing i wish it had was a motorized face but whatever. the letering is OK on it. but since i'm the only one of my little crew that has a player with lettering it amazes pepole. personally i wouldn't spend the money for the 9835, but then again i save popcorn bags to get free refills at the movies. i'm cheap what can i say.
highteknology is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio