Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 12:02 AM   #1
PaulD
Audio Guy

Send a message via AIM to PaulD Send a message via Yahoo to PaulD
new stereo

For any of you who car - since I know a lot of you

well, I finally got around to putting a new stereo in my Accord. It's gonna become my daily driver now, so the stock stereo won't do. I kept the factory CD radio/cd player, mostly because it has the steering wheel controls and looks VERY stock . I ran the speaker wires and a cat5 cable down the center console and the LPL cable. I have an Audio Control EQL and a Pheonix Gold 500.4 mounted on a carved peice of MDF in the far back left corner of the trunk. I used the other 4 wires in the cat5 cable (tied together) for the auto turn-on - mostly because I forgot it until after I had put the interior back together. The speakers - a pair of CDT HD 52's in Qforms mounted in the kick panels, and 2 JL audio 8W3V2 to be fiberglassed into the doors. The CDT's are getting 75 watts RMS each set and the 8W3's are getting about 125 watts RMS each. Actually a pretty simple system but with just a basic tuning, it sounded really nice. The best thing is - it looks REALLY stock.

And I guess I appeased the gods of car audio because there is ZERO engine whine. I absolutely could not believe all of the electronic boxes and wire harnesses going down the center and both sides of the car. I was afraid I was gonna pick up noise, but I have been preaching UTP's run down the center console - so I had to practice what I was preaching. Now that I think about it, I should have run the cat5 down the left side and tie wrapped it to the power wire ... just to see what effect it would have.
PaulD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 12:17 AM   #2
Haibane
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Haibane
Re: new stereo

wow... I am surprised you went CDT and popped in some JL stuff. Could bring yourself to get a elmental 8?
Old 05-23-2004, 12:26 AM   #3
Haibane
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Haibane

so did you join the dark side or the light side when it came to subs? basically, ported or sealed?
Old 05-23-2004, 01:05 AM   #4
sr20de4evr
AF Enthusiast

Sounds nice

I've always heard bad things about those Qforms though. Made out of cheap plastic, don't fit quite right, and don't provide a solid baffle for the speaker to mount to....how are yours?

'05 Silver WRX STi
Injen SES Downpipe, HKS Carbon-Ti catback, Cobb Stage 2 Tune, TiC Super Shifter, TiC Klunk Killer, Tein springs, Nitto NT555R Drag Radials
sr20de4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 08:38 AM   #5
PaulD
Audio Guy

the enclosures are sealed, I always liked JL audio - just a preference thing. My first preference for satelite speakers is usually Focal, but I decided to try the CDT's since I have heard so much about them. The Q-forms for this car are VERY good fitting, they hold up in place without even screwing them down. The plastic feeling material is kinda thin so I may take them out and put a put a layer of fiberglass or bondo on them before I screw them down Since the 8's will be in the door, I can crossover higher than you would with say 12's in the trunk/hatch, so I don't think the lack of a true enclosure is gonna hurt them that much. As usual, I WAAAYYY over spent - but this was the one time, do it right and get it over with thing. I still have the CRX I can play with
Old 06-14-2004, 10:00 PM   #6
PaulD
Audio Guy

after listening to the CDT's tuned, I am very impressed. With the supplied passive crossover, they really have a sweet sound. The 8's in the doors seem to be a good match. Everytime I listen to the setup, I know I did the right thing. It looks as factory as possible, and I gave up 0 trunk space and it sounds great - those were my objectives from the beginning
Old 07-03-2004, 11:05 PM   #7
PaulD
Audio Guy

I put some pics on a web site on sounddomain

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/621430
Old 07-03-2004, 11:17 PM   #8
SickVette
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to SickVette Send a message via MSN to SickVette Send a message via Yahoo to SickVette

Good deal Paul....did you know that you can retain your steering wheel controls and use an aftermarket source unit?
1 PG TiDEQ
Stinger battery,alternator,wire,cap,fuse blocks
1 JL 12w6v2
1 7" monitor in rear
MB Quart 8" 4" and tweet in each door
Custom fiberglass,plexiglas, and aluminum amp rack
carbon fiber sub enclosure
SickVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 12:08 AM   #9
PaulD
Audio Guy

I have wondered about that ..... how hard is that to do ?

My next uprade would be an alpine head unit and the audio control DQT, but that may be a while - like thanksgiving time
Old 07-04-2004, 12:39 AM   #10
SickVette
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to SickVette Send a message via MSN to SickVette Send a message via Yahoo to SickVette

Peripherial electronics makes a piece that will convert your steering wheel controls over to IR output. All you need is the piece and a head unit with IR remote. It is a very simple install and works well. If you do not have a Peripheral dealer near you I can ship you one.
1 PG TiDEQ
Stinger battery,alternator,wire,cap,fuse blocks
1 JL 12w6v2
1 7" monitor in rear
MB Quart 8" 4" and tweet in each door
Custom fiberglass,plexiglas, and aluminum amp rack
carbon fiber sub enclosure
SickVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 08:22 AM   #11
PaulD
Audio Guy

ok, I have seen that kinda thing ... I thought you were talking about an adapter that would allow me to hardwire it. On the harness diagram, there are several wires that say don't use - I am guessing 2 or three of them are for the steering wheel controls.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio