Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-21-2003, 01:15 PM   #1
bobsdirtyworld
AF Newbie

Red face Problems with 99 lumina 3.1L

I am starting to have some messed up problems with my car. Just the other day i get in my to go to work and when I start it up it starts to shake and the check engine light would come on. It was a very noticable shake but I could still drive it. When i'd accelerate it wouldn't shake but when i come to a stop it would shake. Funny thing is that 2 hours before hand i took the car to the gym and didn't notice any problems and I just drove it around to see if it still shakes and it doesn't. The check engine light is still on but no more shakes. My brother drives a 97 Monte Carlo and said that almost the same thing happened to his car and all he had to do is change the fuel filter. My question is do i have to change the fuel filter again or is there something majorly wrong with the car? Really confused as to why my car would shake like that. Any help offered is greatly appreciated and I thank you guys in advance.
bobsdirtyworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 11:25 AM   #2
The Burning Rom
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to The Burning Rom Send a message via MSN to The Burning Rom Send a message via Yahoo to The Burning Rom
Re: Problems with 99 lumina 3.1L

Take it somewhere and have it scanned to see what code is setting the check engine light.
1990 Metallic Blue & Silver Grand Prix LE Coupe
1979 Blue Dodge Ramcharger
The Burning Rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 10:10 AM   #3
Retardo
AF Regular

I had a problem similiar to that. Does the car take longer for it to start? When it begins to start, does it seem like you have to hold the starter engaged until it actually runs on its own?

If so, it could be the EGR valve. One way to identify this probem is, does the car run fine when it's cold? Or does it do this all the time? It could be your fuel filter, fuel pump, EGR, or a wiring problem.

Check your fuses and listen to the sound your fuel pump makes.

If the car runs fine in the morning or whenever it's cold, but starts acting weird when it's warmed up (or coming to a stop, or sitting at redlights/stop signs), it might be the EGR valve. A good way to see if it is, when it's spitting and sputtering and shaking, get a hammer and lightly tap the EGR valve. If it doesn't straighten up, hit it a little harder. If it still doesn't straighten up, it's not the EGR valve.
Retardo is offline   Reply With Quote