Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Camaro | Firebird > Camaro Discussions
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-25-2003, 02:34 AM   #1
taylor2527
AF Newbie

how much does a engine swap cost

ok, i currently have a 1994 firebird 3.4 l v6 with the 5 speed manual transmission and i was wondering how much it would cost to have the engine swapped to a v8 engine? could you guys please give me lots of details on everythign involved
taylor2527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 10:17 AM   #2
triplerc
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to triplerc
Its something to think about on your side.
Do you want Fuel Injection?
DO you want it to be a Carb.
Do You have the time?
Do you have the tools?
Do you have a Nice wallet?

Fuel Injection is going to be more expensive, you have to do all the wiring and have a computer and its just a big hassle. And the motors are going to be more expensive.

Carb. You dont have to worry about the wiring as much as a Fuel injected motor. Motors are cheaper.

Swaping, You will prolly need Stronger front springs to hold the extra weight of the 8 Cylinders. Not sure but you may need a new bell housing to mount the tranny up to the motor. NOT SURE. Your going to need new motor mounts. Prolly new front Sway bars I have heard they break when the motor is put in. Prolly new radiator cooling fans to accomidate for the more cooling needed. That is the basics I dont know if your trans will hold up, or even your rear end.

Best bet would be to sell the car and get a car already with a V8 In it. I learned the hard way. I bough a V6 3rd gen car and I thought I could do it well.... Its not as easy as it looks. Its just better to buy the car already with the stuff on it. I ended up buying a GTA trans am
Old 07-28-2003, 12:48 PM   #3
Rakshas
AF Enthusiast

It depends on what engine You want. A new Ls1 will cost you 5000 for a cate engine while you could pick up a slightly older Lt1 for 2000. I am also looking at a new engine swap for my 84 trans am. It already has a 305 v8 but I want some more power. I don't want to buy a new car as I feel the new bodies are much uglier than the 3rd generation. Good luck with your car.
Rakshas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 12:53 AM   #4
DVS LT1
AF Enthusiast

If its a new motor you're looking for Rakshas, I wouldn't bother with an LT1/4 or LS1 crate motor - get yourself a fast burn ZZ3 crate motor, that thing comes with 380 HP out of the box. GM has a lot of good crate motors that can kick ass right off the bat and really do damage if you get the heads done or drop in a stroker crank. I know a guy who got a ZZ3 for his C4 Vette (pre 1990) and as soon as he picked up the motor he took it right over to a wicked LT1 shop and got the heads ported & polished with 2.05/1.60 valves put in, DFI electronic fuel injection, and some other tweaks. Pulled over 420 HP to the rear wheels.

taylor2527 going from a V6 to a 300+ ft/lb V8 is going to involve some suspension and chassis upgrades as well. I couldn't tell you about the tranny and I don't think the rear ends are the same(but I could be wrong). Definitely look into all the costs involved.
DVS LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 09:17 AM   #5
Rakshas
AF Enthusiast

Yeah. Ive been looking around for a 383 stroked motor. The non emissions legal ones do about 538/495 hp/torque while legal ones do 435/465. Either way enough to smoke most people.
Rakshas is offline   Reply With Quote