Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 11:41 PM   #1
cyberapache
AF Newbie

Replacing Control Panel Lights

2001 Windstar:

The lights that illuminate the control panel in my Windstar have burned out. These are the lights behind the controls for the AC, Fan, Defrost, etc. (not the instruments panel).

Any idea how to replace these (or even if they are replaceable). I lost half of the illumination about a year and just recently I lost the other half. Makes it difficult to find any control knob when driving at night.
cyberapache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:20 PM   #2
cyberapache
AF Newbie

Re: Replacing Control Panel Lights

Anyone has any clues what to do about my post above? Are these lights even replaceable? I'll appreciate any hints or ideas.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:54 PM   #3
tripletdaddy
AF Enthusiast

They should be replaceable. It's just a matter of you being comfortable diving into your dash. The owner's manual should actually identify the bulb number that you need.

There is a trim panel that covers the fasteners that hold your control panel in place, in general. The bulbs should be on the back side of that. If your 2001 is like the earlier model, you have to go carefully over the trim piece for screws, then it's just getting to pop off as it is held in place with posts and spring clips. As a guide, you can go to the Autozone.com repair section. They don't have 2001, so use 98 when you enter in your vehicle. When you finally enter the repair section, you want the body and trim section, instrument panel http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us...rInfoPages.htm and the electrical section, heat and ac, control panel http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us...rInfoPages.htm
tripletdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 12:11 AM   #4
catvents
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberapache
Anyone has any clues what to do about my post above? Are these lights even replaceable? I'll appreciate any hints or ideas.
Yes you can replace the bulb which are #37 (there is probably some equivalent # but I have used that number) Get a few, I don't remember if there were 3 or 4 but replace both.
Disconnect the battery, remove the ashtray, the radio unit and unsnap the panel bezel (around the radio and climate control) Unscrew the climate control and disconnect the rear terminal and remove it from the dash. Then you will have access to the rear illumination bulbs
catvents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 12:11 AM   #5
Noam Zane
AF Newbie

I have a '96 and I know they are replaceable that model because I did it myself last spring. I drove around with those burnt-out bulbs for months waiting for it to warm up enough that I could work on those plastic bits without worrying about snapping off clips in -20 temperatures.

No special tools needed except for the radio removal and I had those, and the bulbs are common and inexpensive. Took me about 20 minutes start to finish.
Noam Zane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 12:16 AM   #6
catvents
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by catvents
Yes you can replace the bulb which are #37 (there is probably some equivalent # but I have used that number) Get a few, I don't remember if there were 3 or 4 but replace both.
Disconnect the battery, remove the ashtray, the radio unit and unsnap the panel bezel (around the radio and climate control) Unscrew the climate control and disconnect the rear terminal and remove it from the dash. Then you will have access to the rear illumination bulbs
This application is for 1999 to 2003 model which could be different for earlier model. I have replaced these bulbs on my 2001 model.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:05 AM   #7
cyberapache
AF Newbie

Thanks a million to everyone for the quick reply. I'll give it a try.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:53 AM   #8
cyberapache
AF Newbie

I removed the ash tray, but I can't seem to get the panel off. I tried prying it off with a screw driver, but it doesn't give in at all. I'm afraid of braking the panel if I pry any harder.

I have the 2001 SEL with the fake wood trim panel. Should I pry harder to pop it off? Do I have to remove the radio before I can remove the panel?

Is there any home made tool I can use to remove the radio? I don't have the U-shaped DIN tool (time to go buy one?).
Old 02-03-2008, 11:19 AM   #9
catvents
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberapache
I removed the ash tray, but I can't seem to get the panel off. I tried prying it off with a screw driver, but it doesn't give in at all. I'm afraid of braking the panel if I pry any harder.

I have the 2001 SEL with the fake wood trim panel. Should I pry harder to pop it off? Do I have to remove the radio before I can remove the panel?

Is there any home made tool I can use to remove the radio? I don't have the U-shaped DIN tool (time to go buy one?).
You have 2 screws behind the ashtray and 2 additionnal screws behind the radio so you have to remove the radio in first. After you gently grip the panel and pull it without using tools, to unsnap it from the dash. After you will unscrew the control unit. For removing the radio I had not the appropriate tool so I have used 2 finishing nail (about 2 inches) and I have unlock 1 side on time of the radio then the other side. ( but not so easy with that but I did it) . Maybe some other poeple can recommand you easier solution to unlock the radio but remember that it has to be remove before removing the panel.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:33 AM   #10
jgattian
AF Newbie

The FORD service manual says;

1. Caution the slider knobs are illuminated with LED's. Use care not to damage them when removing the slider knobs.

Disconnect the battery.

2. Remove the ash receptacle.

3. Remove the audio unit.

4. Remove the screws. (The illustration shows 2 at the top and 2 at the bottom)

5. Unsnap the panel.

6. Disconnect the connectors. (Illustration shows the rear view of control panel and there are two electrical connectors).

7. Remove the control assembly by removing the 4 screws.

8. To install, reverse the removal procedure.

My thought is that if you can see and disconnect the electrical connectors at the rear of the control panel then you should probably be able to unplug and replace the bulb without having to do step 7.
2001 Sienna
1998 Civic
jgattian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 06:06 PM   #11
cyberapache
AF Newbie

Thanks.
I removed the ash tray and the bottom two screws. I bought the radio removal tool and inserted into all four holes till they engage, but I can't pull the radio out. Is something else hold the radio and keeping it from sliding out?
Old 02-03-2008, 06:17 PM   #12
Noam Zane
AF Newbie

If anything people have a tendency to insert them too far. Insert them a little bit then SLIGHTLY spread them outward and try to pull the unit straight out using the tools as handles. If that does not work try a little deeper and so on.

Until I got that set of tools I messed with coat hangers and such with no success, once I used the proper tool the radio almost fell out on its own.
Noam Zane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 06:44 PM   #13
cyberapache
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noam Zane
If anything people have a tendency to insert them too far. Insert them a little bit then SLIGHTLY spread them outward and try to pull the unit straight out using the tools as handles.
You saved my day (actually cold night)! That was exactly the problem. I inserted the tool too far. For a moment I wondered how those car buglers do it in seconds, now I know why

Now I'll go finish the job. Thanks to everyone.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:37 PM   #14
cyberapache
AF Newbie

Fixed following the directions in this thread.
Thanks to everyone for your time and directions.
Old 11-14-2015, 12:34 PM   #15
sandpebble
AF Newbie

Hi, replaced all 4 bulbs today. They were GE 73 bulbs.
1-Pull out radio using Ford u shaped tools-disconnect radio
2-pull out ash tray
3-remove 4 7mm screws (2 on top-2 on bottom) Panel will
come out easily.
4-I disconnected all of the plugs on the heater control to
make it easier to access the light bulbs but you could do
it without doing that. Twist the sockets a 1/4 turn and bulb
sockets come out. Pull bulb out of socket, push in new bulb.
5-reverse procedure to put it all back together-pretty straight
forward.
sandpebble is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar