Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-13-2002, 10:45 PM   #1
Firebird
AF Enthusiast

anyone ever used a clay bar?

I got a clay bar kit a little whille ago it's from Meguiar's. At first I thought they were crap but I heard only good stuff from mags. and car shows about them so I figured I'd give it a try. They work awesome I was really impresed after alittle rubbing with the clay bar and the paint is so smooth it's almost scary if you really want to get and ass kickin' finish get one they work really well.

1989 Nissan 240sx XE(coupe) stock except K&N air filter, and some of the ugliest wheels ever >.<
Firebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 07:03 AM   #2
CraigFL
AF Regular

I agree! but... it's a lot of work and when you do one spot it makes you want to do the whole car
CraigFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 05:01 AM   #3
Morpheus XIII
AF Enthusiast

I love clay. It's my primary tool for detailing my car every few months. The great thing about it is that you only need to do it once in a while, and it goes for quite some time. It's pretty much the equivalent of a deep skin cleanser. I don't even think it takes that long--buffing takes waaaaay longer. Plus it works on automotive acne: WATER STAINS!!!
Morpheus XIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 05:03 AM   #4
Morpheus XIII
AF Enthusiast

Oh yeah, it helps remove oxidation as well (the funky tiny circle patches that appear when you apply wax).
Old 03-28-2002, 10:47 AM   #5
nittanys1
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to nittanys1
After you have used the clay bar do you go ahead and wax it, I've got the Megs. three step..or do you just stop after that...and you'd wash it first, right?
nittanys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 06:10 AM   #6
Morpheus XIII
AF Enthusiast

First wash, then clay, then wax. Don't wax before clay, otherwise the wax will get all over the clay. The idea is to strip the car of all its embedded filth, and then shield it with wax. Oh yeah another thing: after you clay, your paint may look like you smeared stuff on it and have to wash it again, but you don't need to--the wax finishes it off.

After you're all done, touch the paint with your bare hands--you will really notice the difference. Or place stuff on the hood/roof like dry towels, wax bottles etc...they will all slide off! (but don't scratch the finish).
Old 05-01-2002, 01:07 PM   #7
Sci-Fi
AF Newbie

I use 2 claybars, one for the paint and the other one for the wheels. Takes the brake dust off the wheels.

For the paint, I fold over the claybar a lot to expose a clean surface and to get maximun cleaning. Just make sure you use enough lube, car wash mix or detailer spray and work in sections. I fill a small spray bottle and that makes it easier to keep the paint wet.

Sci-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 01:26 AM   #8
rlconan
AF Newbie

Using Clay

I just bought Meguiar's Detailing Clay for removing light to medium swirl marks from a detailer's buffer (which I will never pay to have done, again). What is the procedure for using the Detailing Clay after washing the car? Does it require any lubrication? Or, do you just rub it on the surface? Any particular motion?

Any help would be appreciated.

Raphael

Last edited by rlconan; 11-26-2002 at 03:13 AM.
rlconan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 03:53 PM   #9
dLocke
AF Regular

Like the previous posts state, you basically wash your car, dry it, and then start spraying small areas with your detailer mist. Rub the clay only in wet areas (otherwise it will stick) and use a terry cloth to remove leftover grime. Do the whole car and then wax it as normal.

PS. Doesn't the Meguiars set come with instructions?
Old 01-09-2003, 04:40 AM   #10
rlconan
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by dLocke
Like the previous posts state, you basically wash your car, dry it, and then start spraying small areas with your detailer mist. Rub the clay only in wet areas (otherwise it will stick) and use a terry cloth to remove leftover grime. Do the whole car and then wax it as normal.

PS. Doesn't the Meguiars set come with instructions?
Thanx for your help. And, no. The clay bar didn't come with instructions. Just the bar and a Meguiars label. What I wanted really need to know about was the type of detailer mist. The place I bought it from said to use some kind of lubricant. Hell if I know which lubricant to buy. I finally bought one of Meguiar's detailing products.

Again, thanx.

Raphael
rlconan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2003, 07:32 AM   #11
alphalanos
AF Enthusiast

i recommend using a brick from that pile of bricks at the construction site. thats right just take the brick and locate it on your hood(preferrably after a paint job) and relocate the brick in a downwards motion towards the front fascia of the vehicle.

just kidding anyone who does this will be shot.:licker:
alphalanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 01:27 PM   #12
debbie1
AF Newbie

clay bars

i have been reading everybody's reply about using clay bars. if you use the clay bar with a liquid cleaner doesn't it still strip the paint. when i had my car repainted last year i was using a cleaner/wax every time i waxed, which was a wrong thing to do as it's supposed to strip the clear coat. so what goes with the clay bar. is it as bad as using a cleaner/wax?

i also heard that using the clay bar doesn't remove the wax, but this doesn't sound right to me. also, if you've used a cleaner/wax then waxed almost everytime you wash the vehicle, do you think claying the car would still be beneficial???? or not, since it's got quite a few coats of wax.

Last edited by debbie1; 06-23-2003 at 02:03 PM.
debbie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 01:49 AM   #13
BullShifter
AF Moderator

Take your new clay bar & divide in into 3 section in case your drop it. Once it hits the ground its useless.
BullShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 09:44 AM   #14
YogsVR4
Funding the welfare state

Send a message via AIM to YogsVR4
Re: clay bars

Quote:
Originally posted by debbie1
i have been reading everybody's reply about using clay bars. if you use the clay bar with a liquid cleaner doesn't it still strip the paint. when i had my car repainted last year i was using a cleaner/wax every time i waxed, which was a wrong thing to do as it's supposed to strip the clear coat. so what goes with the clay bar. is it as bad as using a cleaner/wax?
I've never had the claybar ever damage the paint or finish. The cars finish is a hundred times better if you use the claybar before polishing and waxing the car (you must wax it when you're done because the claybar will remove wax as well as all other crap on the paint)

Go here for some good advice http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...C&Store_Code=Z Even if you don't use Zaino, you should follow along. As for Zaino itself. Its the best out there that I've ever used.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Old 06-18-2003, 10:39 AM   #15
nittanys1
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to nittanys1
check this guys ride out after using Zaino!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reflectlg.jpg (26.8 KB, 175 views)
nittanys1 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General