Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > General Discussion
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 12:48 PM   #1
LT1Silverhawk
Prone 2 Ask Alota ?s

1977 Chevy C10 - Power Steering Pulley Screeches

Hi All,

I recently changed the seals on my truck's water pump. I had to remove a few things to get to it, including the power steering pump. I also replaced the power steering pump's belt while I was at it.

After everything was installed, the power steering wouldn't work and a quick check showed there was no fluid. I quickly poured in some synthetic motor oil just to see if it worked (was pressed for time to take care of some work).

The power steering began working again but the pulley would occasionally get stuck for a moment, causing a screeching noise. A few moments later, the oil I had poured in there came bubbling out (from overheating, I assume).

I sprayed some lubicant on the pulley which seemed to do away with the screeching for a few minutes, but then it would return.

I am wondering if the pulley may be bad.

Below is a video of the screeching noise as well as the power steering pump pulley.

Any ideas, suggestions, comments?

Thanks in advance,

LT1Silverhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:50 PM   #2
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Re: 1977 Chevy C10 - Power Steering Pulley Screeches

you will need a new pump and completely clean out all the engine oil you put in first.

your running this with no fluid then the wrong fluid is now gonna cost you more time and money..
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:54 PM   #3
LT1Silverhawk
Prone 2 Ask Alota ?s

Quote:
Originally Posted by j cAT View Post
you will need a new pump and completely clean out all the engine oil you put in first.

your running this with no fluid then the wrong fluid is now gonna cost you more time and money..
Hey jcAT!

Great to hear from you again.

The power steering pump was without fluid for about a minute at most in the driveway. The synthetic oil was definitely there much longer but the truck wasnt used much except to be moved around for street cleaning. The power steering pump itself is working fine, except for the slight hesitation with the screeching sound.

I took out the sythetic oil and put in power steering fluid this past Sunday. Again, the pump itself seems to be working fine, except for the slight hesitation with the annoying screeching sound.

Sorry, I guess the video never got attached so I'll add it again.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:21 PM   #4
j cAT
AF Fanatic

good to see your back ...

I have never seen a power steering pump work properly after running for any amount of time with no fluid..

when turning the steering wheel slightly the belt makes noise ..pump locks up/ you can feel this in the steering wheel normally..

almost forgot / wash the belt and pulley off with some mineral spirits or paint thinner ..no oils here...the belt will slip and soon wear out..
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:02 PM   #5
LT1Silverhawk
Prone 2 Ask Alota ?s

Quote:
good to see your back ...

I have never seen a power steering pump work properly after running for any amount of time with no fluid..
Well, by running I meant that as soon I fired up the truck, I noticed the steering wouldn't budge so I immediately checked for fluid. With the pulley still spinning during that time, do you think it may have damaged the pump itself?

Quote:
when turning the steering wheel slightly the belt makes noise ..pump locks up/ you can feel this in the steering wheel normally..
Yes, there is a slight hesitation / lock up every few moments, which Im sure you noticed in the video itself. I kept thinking that it may have something to do with belt tension or something.

Worse come to worse, I guess I change the pump.

Quote:
almost forgot / wash the belt and pulley off with some mineral spirits or paint thinner ..no oils here...the belt will slip and soon wear out..
Glad you mentioned that.

Thanks again man!

//^\\ 1996 Chevy Camaro Z28 "The Silverhawk" //^\\ 1995 Chevy Impala SS "The Flying Fortress" //^\\ 1977 Chevy Truck "Redneck Mobile" //^\\ 1984 Chevy Camaro Z28 - Presently a project //^\\

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > General Discussion