Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Grand Cherokee | Grand Cherokee SRT8
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 01:28 AM   #1
jgcl2005
AF Newbie

Disable 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Seat Belt Alarm

Does anyone know how to disable the seat belt alarm for the new 2005's?
jgcl2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 04:01 AM   #2
SteveB05
AF Regular

Re: Disable 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Seat Belt Alarm

Yeah...put your belt on.
'98 JGC (ZJ) 5.2L, Aluminum Radiator w/Electric Fans, 4" Cowl Induction Hood Scoop, Custom High Flow Air Filter, Magnaflow Cat / Flowmaster Super 40 Exhaust, Engine Oil cooler w/ remote filter, In-roof 8" DVD, Profile 600 Watt Amp, Kenwood 6.75" 3-ways, NV242, 3.5" Lift, RS9000s, 31x10.50x15 ATs, Proline roof rack w/ spare tire mount and 4 Hella 550s.
SteveB05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 12:41 AM   #3
vamc
AF Enthusiast

SteveB05-i agree. But if you wanted to be stupid and not take that approch, take out the fuse, not sure which one. Just put your seatbelt on and the problem will be resolved.Easy, quick approch and without spending 1 cent.
vamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 05:57 AM   #4
mtstewdog
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Disable 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Seat Belt Alarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamc
SteveB05-i agree. But if you wanted to be stupid and not take that approch, take out the fuse, not sure which one. Just put your seatbelt on and the problem will be resolved.Easy, quick approch and without spending 1 cent.

Don't be so harsh on jgcl2005. I'm a new '05 JGC owner myself and I'm here to see if I can learn the same thing he's trying to learn. I ALWAYS wear my seatbelt -- and I mean ALWAYS -- because you're absolutely right -- it's nothing less than stupid not to. Which is precisely why I don't need to hear "ding - ding - ding - ding" to remind me.

When I get home from work, my mailbox is located such that the only way I can get my mail out of it is to remove my seatbelt. It's ridiculous to have to put it back on to silence that annoying ding just to drive the additional 50 feet down the driveway to my garage.

So just because a guy wants to disable the seatbelt alarm does not necessarily mean he's driving around without wearing his seatbelt.

To your suggestion, vamc, are you certain that there is a single fuse for the seatbelt alarm? My guess would be that if you pull the fuse that silences the seatbelt alarm, you're going to lose a whole bunch of other stuff, too.

THANKS!
mtstewdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 03:29 PM   #5
vamc
AF Enthusiast

Im very sorry about that, i didnt mean to be so harsh on him. i did look into this and would loos the raido and a few other things. so i just think is to keep your seatbelt on or let it ding. I say, keep it on.
vamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 04:28 PM   #6
Bobbo78
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Bobbo78 Send a message via Yahoo to Bobbo78

I just bought a 2005 JGC, and the manual clearly states how to turn the alarm off.

Very easy.
Bobbo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 07:05 PM   #7
mtstewdog
AF Newbie

Disable 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Seat Belt Alarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo78
I just bought a 2005 JGC, and the manual clearly states how to turn the alarm off.

Very easy.

YOU'RE RIGHT! Just in case jgcl2005 might not have his manual, here's the text:

NOTE: The following steps must occur within the first 60 seconds of the ignition switch being turned to the ON or START position. The manufacturer does not recommend deactivating the Enhanced Warning System (BeltAlert)

1. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position, and fasten the driver's seat belt.

2. Start the engine, and wait for the Seat Belt Warning Light to turn off.

3. Within 60 seconds of starting teh vehicle, unbuckle and re-buckle the driver's seat belt at least three times, ending with the seat belt buckled.

4. Turn off the engine. A single chime will sound to signify that you have successfully completed the programming.

The Enhanced Warning System (BeltAlert) can be recactivated by repeating this procedure.
mtstewdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 02:37 PM   #8
crazyredj
AF Newbie

SteveBO5 and vamc, your answers are not answers at all. People don't ask unless they have some extenuating circumstance. For example, my seatbelt is screwed up and the alarm dings continuously, even when everyone is buckled up. So I need to know how to disable to annoying beeping until I can replace the buckle. A disclaimer would be in order, but sarcastic and insulting non-answers don't help at all.

And Bobbo78? Duh, man. Again when people ask, it's because they've exhausted every simple approach. I bought my Jeep in 2024, and it came with no manual, and I can't find a manual online anywhere. So stating the obvious also doesn't help.

mtstewdog, thanks for the only real, helpful answer!
crazyredj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 04:31 PM   #9
maxwedge
A990 racer

Exclamation Re: Disable 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Seat Belt Alarm

Are you aware that this is an inactive forum for 19 years?
Old 06-07-2024, 11:47 AM   #10
crazyredj
AF Newbie

Yes I am, maxwedge. And I was aware when I read the post and went through the trouble to sign up so that I could write my reply. It was purely for myself; I did not expect anyone to see it. In fact, your response shocks me!

The thing is, Karen-type "Let-Me-Mother-You" responses are like 60 grit sandpaper on my inner thighs. So I just had to say something.

##########################

For anyone reading this now, here's some pro tips for you:

mtstewdog's directions work like a charm - unless you have to "hack" those directions bc your system chimes even when the belt is buckled bc the circuit is for some reason not closing. That was me.

I couldn't find the correct wires under the seat, so I had to open up my buckle and find the little contact that tells the system whether the belt is buckled. You could just close the circuit three times to mimic the belt being buckled—except for two things:

THE DOORS MUST BE CLOSED!

YOUR BUTT MUST BE IN THE SEAT!

See, I tried leaning over my seat with the door open for a damn hour. I could fake the connection just fine, but it wouldn't take. Then I noticed the door chime was going off, so I closed the door latch with a screwdriver to fool the system into thinking the door was closed. Still no dice. Then it dawned on me, the alarm won't go off over an unbuckled belt - unless someone is sitting there.

So I figured out how to make the connection blind, with a screwdriver jammed into the buckle, while sitting in the seat and with the door closed. Trust me, it was a PAIN!

But it worked.

BTW, the buckle casing is held on by a plastic lip at both the bottom and top of the buckle. Like this:

https://youtu.be/L73Ce5C5_4U?t=41

Except you have to pry the top loose at the red button at the same time.

Then the connection is underneath the little white plastic housing that holds the spring for the red button. This guy butchered his buckle, so don't do it like this—but he does reveal what the connection looks like so you know what you're looking for:

https://youtu.be/CNLu_0tRFa4?t=122

I hope this helps someone.

Happy DIYing.
Old 06-07-2024, 01:53 PM   #11
maxwedge
A990 racer

Lightbulb Re: Disable 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Seat Belt Alarm

Why does my response shock you, as an assigned moderator I am merely informing a new member of the time frame issue, some folks miss that fact.
Old 06-07-2024, 03:17 PM   #12
crazyredj
AF Newbie

Sorry, MaxWedge. I am actually a fiction writer. And for a writer, I sent you some pretty lame wording.

Your response was just fine and actually much appreciated. It's just that I didn't expect ANY response. So I wasn't shocked "by" your response. I was shocked that I received any response at all!

Thanks again for taking the time to LMK I had entered an ancient thread. Hopefully someone will come along and find it to be useful, as I did.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Grand Cherokee | Grand Cherokee SRT8