Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Street
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Street Post topics for any "Works In Progress" street vehicles projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-11-2024, 08:42 AM   #1
potsie
AF Enthusiast

Revell Auto Transporter

SPOILER ALERT: I have actually finished this kit, but given its relative scarcity I thought a wip thread may be of interest. I took photos of most steps and have some advice on the order of assembly as I think the instructions are not ideal in some places. The kit came in three large sprues; one with the treads, one mostly with the frame and the other with wheels and other bits. I spend a night snipping pieces from the third sprue to separate wheels etc, then just sprayed the other two sprues as they were. Touch up after removing sprayed pieces was going to be much easier than trying to remove pieces prior to spraying.

Here is the kit box for reference.

Step 1: The instructions are vague on the colour advice and the box art is not much help. I am not convinced the model on the box is even painted. I went for Tamiya TS-81 Royal Light Grey for the main frame, though in hindsight this was a poor choice as it was very close match to the primer I used so coverage was hard to judge. I also did not have a matching pot of paint for touch ups. Construction started with the two main chassis rails of the lower deck. The instructions did not even call out detail painting of the suspension.

Step 2: Adding the cross-beams. The fitment of these would have been perfect before painting, so there was some finessing required to get painted parts assembled correctly.

Step 3: First lot of treads/ramps added. These are sprayed a generic automotive silver. The centre sections - also silver - served to added structural support to the chassis. The centre piece at the very bottom had the supports for the outer treads molded in, which I painted gun-metal for contrast.

Step 4: Spare wheels, also in automotive silver.

Step 5: Spare wheels added to the lower deck.

Step 6: Added wheel arches. These were painted grey, masked and then the silver sprayed for the tread area. Also added the ramps down to the middle section of the lower deck. These are supposed to sit flush with the lower deck but foul the spare tires so sit high. A consequence is very little are to glue the in place, relying only on the contact area with the arches.

Step 7: Adding ramps in the front section of the lower deck.

The build starts heading up from here.

Grant.
potsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2024, 07:51 AM   #2
potsie
AF Enthusiast

Re: Revell Auto Transporter

After Step 7 I put the axles and wheels on, even though the instructions call for this much later. I did not want to turn the trailer over when the upper frame was in place.

Step 8: The rear of the upper deck can be raised or lowered. To do this there is a simulated hydraulic ram (outer canister on left of photo below) and a bar that slides through an outer casing (right) with a pin that can lock it in place a various heights. These were both two piece and needed clamping during gluing due to slight warping of parts. This was the biggest problem of the build, with both the piston and bar not fitting in their respective outer sleeves, even after some serious post-paint sanding and filing.

Step 9: Assembling the rear bar with light and number plate assembly. Lights are not clear parts, rather detailed sections painted silver then clear red or orange as necessary. The hydraulic canister and outer sleeve of positioner bar are added in a way they can freely rotate. I will admit this step looked like a potential issue in the instructions, but there was sufficient surface area for glue to work effectively.

Step 10 and 11: Assembling the stand used to support the trailer when not coupled (#10) and mounting this to the frame (#11). The legs do slide within the outer frame, though the paint adds sufficient friction to stop them collapsing under the weight of the trailer.

Steps 12 and 13 were assembling a bracket that served to support the rear of the lower deck and provide a mounting point for the rear bar. For some reason I have no photos of this.

Step 14: Rear bar assembled at step #9 added to the support bar from #12. Also added two short rear ramps. These provide mounting points for the ramps to get vehicles into / out of the lower deck of the trailer.

Grant.
Old 09-21-2024, 02:06 AM   #3
potsie
AF Enthusiast

Step 15: The side frames go on. The instructions do not call for any detailing, but there are some hydraulic rams (Tamiya yellow-green for the outers, chrome silver for the piston), ladders (Tamiya hull red), bolt ends (Tamiya metallic grey) and lights (silver + clear red) that I detailed. The frames mount to the lower piece added at Step #3, and the holes in the outer frame fit so snugly to the ends of the lower frame I did not need to glue it in place. A lot of test fitting and filling to ensure fit, but that is it.

With a Fujimi Nissan 300ZX I was completing at the same time. It should be noted that I think the 300ZX is under-size, as despite its supposed 1/24th scale it is smaller that 1/24th scale Nissan R32's I have. But this gives an idea of the sense of scale.

Steps 16 and 17: Painting and installing the 'cage' that goes around the front of the lower section. This also has an advertising board attached on either side that the kit supplies a 'haulage company' style decal for. I will add these at the end with some decals reflecting the overall scheme.

The Following User Says Thank You to potsie For This Useful Post:
fafnir (09-21-2024)
Old 09-21-2024, 06:29 PM   #4
fafnir
AF Regular

Very nice work so far,looking forward to more.
fafnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:12 AM   #5
potsie
AF Enthusiast

Steps 18 - 20: The ramps for the upper deck are attached to the cross-bars (#18), pieces added to the side of each ramp to later attach chains (#19) and these assemblies then attached to the upper part of the side frames (#20). The instructions call for the chains to be added at Step 28, but added them here while the ramps were separate as it was easier to handle each one.

Step 21: The piston of the rear hydraulic ram and inner bar of the height locator were added to the rear upper deck portion, and slotted into the outer pieces attached to the rear bar at Step 9. You can see in the photo to small pin holding the locator bar in place on each side. These pins can be removed, and the hydraulic ram piston and locator bar moved within their respective cases to raise or lower the rear deck; in theory. In reality, with the extra thickness and friction from the paint and the warping of the two piece outer parts the movement is significantly hindered. If I had understood this step better prior to painting I would have spen more time ensuring a better fit and smooth movement. The upper deck piece in front of the rear deck can rotate on the cross-bar to the left on this photo. This gives access to the lower deck to put a vehicle in.

Old Yesterday, 07:21 AM   #6
potsie
AF Enthusiast

Steps 22 - 25: In these steps the air brakes are assembled (#22) and installed (#23). The three-piece wheels are painted, assembled and installed in the tyres (#24). The two-piece axles are then installed into the suspension. If the order of intructions are follwed the entire upper deck, which is designed to move, is in place. I thought this was a recipe for broken pieces, so did these steps - and Step 26 below - as soon as the wheel arches were added at Step 6.

Step 26: The wheels are attached to the axles.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Street